Is that a "WHIFF"

Started by lenny100, June 01, 2009, 01:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

my summer project can you gess what it is
Its as near to out of the box i do these days

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Jeffry Fontaine

OSS/SOE agent delivery platform?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

lenny100

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 01, 2009, 03:26:50 PM
OSS/SOE agent delivery platform?
close very very close but a little more mundane

HOG

United Parcels delivery platform ?
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

lenny100

Quote from: HOG on June 01, 2009, 04:22:58 PM
United Parcels delivery platform ?

even closer
think 1942-1945

Brian da Basher

My guess would be Royal Mail, but then it would be red and not NMF, right? Speaking of NMF, that finish is so gorgeous it makes your B-17 look like it was poured straight from molten metal. Very impressive, Lenny!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Ed S

oooooooo....  shiney....

Looks like a good start.  I'm curious what you intend to do with this one.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Does it involve The Dark Side Of The Force?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

lenny100

sorry lads no body got it

its not a whiff although few JMN will know that it a real night flying equipped and operated BLACK B-17

it is B17-G 337516 "Tondalayo" the plane in which both its Pilot LT-Col Aber and his co-pilot LT Haper both were awarded the Congressional medal of horner in 2000., for their actions on the night of 4 March 1945.
In this action (flying fortress mission 864) the aircraft was returning from a mission over occupied Holland with its usual load of newspapers and propaganda when it was shot down over the town of Harwich by anti-aircraft guns shooting at a German intruder aircraft which passed the B-17 aircraft at less than 200 feet.
Badly damaged with up to four hits the most of which was a hit between the number two engine and the cockpit, tearing off the engine and setting fire to the wing.
Aber held  the aircraft up long enough for the crew of 11 to escape before he crashed the aircraft into the river Stour two mile upstream rather than crash into the town.
Another fact about this aircraft was it was the lead navigator aircraft for the American air fleet on the night of 5th June 1944, again being flown by Aber
I was privileged to be part of the join US, UK team that recovered the bodies from the wreckage in 2000, after it had been found the aircrafts remains were being disturbed by aircraft recovery vandals, although it was a registered war grave.

these are not how the aircraft looked but it gives a idea what it will look like as it a "Limited edition accurate" Franklin Mint sculpture

This will be displayed with a display of the largest single pice we found the tail turret,a few little Pisces of the actual aircraft and also my copy of the report i had to give to  the MOD in London to be granted permission to remove the war grave and return the bodies to the untied states, although the body's were later returned and buried in the American war grave cemetery outside Cambridge.

if anybody can tell me were i can get a miniature of the CMH cheep i would be grateful.

Taiidantomcat

Fascinating. Never knew any of this. Great work BTW  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.