CAF SuperHornet

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 11, 2004, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Some close ups of the nose and main gear.
One problem with the digicam: it blows all details up in size, even the undesirable ones!  But, if I can refrain from screwing this up, this will be my finest Hornet (clue: it's my ONLY Hornet I've ever built!  ^_^ )
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Main gear.  I use a very simple wash of a few drops of gloss black in a solution of Future (Johnsons Klear).  All the weathering, including that on the landing gear, is a touch exaggerated but this is on purpose so it will show up a little better in regular photos of the finised model.

John Howling Mouse

Fun shot of the Black Box cockpit in place.  Oh well, PaRt of the pic is in focus to allow you to see at least SoMe of the details involved.

John Howling Mouse

E X T R E M E
C L O S E
U P !!!!

And, yes, decals on struts are no fun at all to apply!

But I like the finished look.  This is supposed to be a heavily used
a/c in the 2016 era after the Americans have deemed the SuperBug as obsolete (and Canada jumps right in to pick up their throwaways at inflated pricing).

Ollie

Simply amazing Barry!

The level of detail in the 'pit is impressive!

Keep it up!

:wub:  :wub:  

Tilt

DAMN!!!

That's looking soooo good dude!!!

I'm jealous!!

Cheers,
Tilt

p.s. I need to hang around here a bit more!!

nev

Wow!  Looks amazing Baz  :wub:

I gotta dry that future/black trick, sounds pretty nifty.  :ar:

tilt you got that right! :tornado:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mairfrog

That's a good looking model! :cheers:

I hate weathering and Hornets bore me  :o  but that is a smart job. Even that 'exaggerated' weathering is 100 times more subtle and realistic than the average JMN job.

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys!

Been working on the Luftwaffe F-16T today.
Plenty of swearing going on, too.
Have NO idea how the supplementary supports for the main landing
gear are really supposed to fit together.  Reference photos and Italeri's instructions only made it more confusing.  Wish Elmayerle could have been here today with some landing gear blueprints.

I love Italeri kits but I have to admit there's always plenty of swearing
going on when I attempt to build them.

Shasper

Stupid Q, but whats the scale on that rhino?

Ves, the avitar-ed one B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

lancer

Jesus Bazza, that is awsome..... You Sir, are the MASTER!!!!

Hay Tilt, good to dsee you here again, you're right! you DO need to hang out here more often.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Sisko

Nice kit can't wait to see it in full :party:  :party:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

John Howling Mouse

QuoteStupid Q, but whats the scale on that rhino?
Mine is the Italeri 1:48 version.

All I can say is watch out for the main landing gear if you ever build it.
The main gear struts fit into a slot (not a round hole) forcing the gear to sit in a predetermined angle.  Since the wheel fits on a fairly long axle, you're stuck with
the angle you're given.

On the starboard set, this predetermined angle is wrong, wrong, wrong, resulting in an incorrect "yaw" effect.  Even though I knew this from dry-fitting, I still could not twist the gear enough to correct the angle and my wheel is not parallel with its counterpart!

Blah!  Hate it!  Didn't like the alternative though (cutting and repositioning the wheel's axle).   I have another, unbuilt kit of this (going to be a VG winged SuperBug) that I'll have to experiment with to see if it will be buggered too.

Oh well.