Bargain corner: Haynes Bucc, Tiger 1, A380 for £6

Started by Weaver, May 29, 2009, 06:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Rather than doing a new "heads up for a bargain" thread every time I see something, I thought I'd start a generic thread. The idea is it's for cheap DIY/houshold stuff, rather than modelling products as such.

Today's bargain: Homebase are doing a tub of 18 x small spring-loaded clamps for 99p. They're in the clearance bins, so presumably when they're gone, they're gone.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

van883

Thanks for the info-I just bough some. Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Van

Weaver

This ebay seller is doing 25cm plastic turntables (ideal for airbrushing) for £2.49 plus £1.50 postage:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220359278808

I havn't priced these up recently, but IIRC, they used to be about a tenner apiece. Note that the seller is now on holiday for a week or so (see their shop page for details).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

AeroplaneDriver

Hobby Lobby in the US have their Excel range of hobby knives and accessories 50% off this week.

Good thread idea BTW Weaver.   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

frank2056

I just got back from Dubuque Iowa. I went to a "Dollar Store" that was full of cheap Chinese made crap... but I managed to get a large number of CA tubes and several plastic clamps (black with swiveling orange grippers) all for $1 ea. The price I paid for the little tubes of cyanoacrylate is more than 60% less than what I normally pay. I also went to Hobby Lobby, which doesn't have stores in the heathen western section of the US.

JJC

in homebase there's limited types of humbrol paints reduced to 58p each
KEEP THE VULCAN FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaver

Cheers JJC - I'll check that one out.  :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Quote from: JJC on July 24, 2009, 12:49:39 PM
in homebase there's limited types of humbrol paints reduced to 58p each

Right, I've checked out my local one today. I suspect it will vary from branch to branch depending on what they've got left, but mine had a pretty small range, and most of it gloss. However, gloss has it's uses and for that price it's not worth missing, so I got the following:

Hu34 Matt White - 50 ml tin
Hu60 Matt Scarlett
Hu135 Satin Varnish
Hu71 Satin Oak
Hu10 Gloss Service Brown
Hu2 Gloss Emerald Green
Hu47 Gloss Sea Blue
Hu68 Gloss Purple

There were others I didn't get, including big tins of gloss and satin black, small tins of gloss orange and more that I can't remember.

Thanks again JJC!  :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Whilst I was in Homebase, I also found this little number:

The circular doobery in the middle is called a FlexConnect and was on the sale rail at 39p. Unfortunately, it only works with the Babco clamps shown which are £2.99 each, but still, they're good clamps and £6.37 isn't outrageous for this little setup.

You can vary the angle between the clamps and also rotate them about their axis, thus allowing you to hold two things at a range of obscure angles to each other. It isn't very rigid, but then most model parts won't put much of a load on it.

- Indiana Jones '

thedarkmaster

Went into homebase in Derby today to buy some of this cheap paint .......couldn't find any so asked the staff and apparantly a bloke came in yesterday and bought the lot ! about £100 worth.

So I was thinking.........which one of you was it ?  ;D  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Weaver

Quote from: thedarkmaster on July 27, 2009, 09:39:46 AM

Went into homebase in Derby today to buy some of this cheap paint .......couldn't find any so asked the staff and apparantly a bloke came in yesterday and bought the lot ! about £100 worth.

So I was thinking.........which one of you was it ?  ;D  ;D  ;D

LOL - not me, I'm in Stockport. The petrol cost of raiding Derby for it's cheap paint would wipe out the savings..... ;D

You'll probably see it appear on ebay before long at a "bargain" 90p per tin.... :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones '

philp

Quote from: frank2056 on June 21, 2009, 04:55:25 PM
I also went to Hobby Lobby, which doesn't have stores in the heathen western section of the US.

Frank, they are getting closer.  We have at least a couple here in Utah.  Just wish they would bring back the 50% off models coupon as I would grab that Gato in a minute.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Just went into Homebase for some DIY stuff and on the bargain clearance shelf were some 10.8v rechargeable Dremel 800s reduced from £59.93 to £44.95. Now that £60 wasn't bad to start with: I've seen these things going for £80 before now. Anyway, I got one.... :thumbsup:

I've fancied one of these for a while, not so much for the cordlessness, but for the fact that it's slow speed is significantly slower than most other such tools. It can get down to 5000 rpm at the bottom end, which matters when you're trying to cut plastic instead of melt it......

Anyway, it's this set:  http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalog/Dremel_Lithium_Ion_8000.html

Looks like it really is a clearance sale too, so not all Homebases will have one.

If anybody desperately wants one and can't get to a store, give me a shout and I'll pick one up for you since I'm going back there tomorrow night.

- Indiana Jones '

NARSES2

£1 Store in Croydon (presumably nationaly) are doing double sided sticky tape plus oodles of double sided sticky pads for wait for it ................... a £1  ;D The pads are ideal for holding small parts - like the 4 radial engines currently being painted - whilst painting. Mount the pads on a larger bit of card and Bob's your uncle  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

You could also use them with the T-Al system that John Adams devised for vacforms.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic