Modern RAF Transport Colors?

Started by Scooterman, May 25, 2009, 08:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

Is it the same as the overall grey used on just about everything else RAF?  It looks a bit darker, but as always that could be lighting conditions, weather, etc.......

PR19_Kit

AFAIK yes, but there are different 'RAF Greys' about.

The one now called 'Camouflage Grey' used to be called 'Barley Grey', invented around the time of the Falklands Event. There's also 'Medium Grey' and another as well I think. It's very complicated, but I suspect you could achieve exactly the same shades as faded RW RAF Greys by adding one drop of black or white to the grey of your choice.........

Me cynical? No way..........  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nev

Well, the grey on the Hercs looks lighter than the grey on say the C-17s (possibly because the latter are in the USAF camo grey).  Might be worth sending Desmojen on Britmodeller a PM, she works on 'em so should know.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

pyro-manic

At least some of the Hercs are now painted green...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

I think the current Herk scheme uses both greys with a demarcation that slopes up toward the tail and nose. The idea is that the shadow of the wings and tailplane on the lower, lighter greys make it all look the same coloir, or close anyway.

Wasn't there a posting on this herk scheme a while back?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2009, 12:26:27 PM
I think the current Herk scheme uses both greys with a demarcation that slopes up toward the tail and nose. The idea is that the shadow of the wings and tailplane on the lower, lighter greys make it all look the same coloir, or close anyway.

Wasn't there a posting on this herk scheme a while back?

So they use a similar system of "shade" colours to what were used on biplanes subsequent to the reintroduction of RAF camouflage in 1938 - nothings new.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.