Hawker Penguin NF Mk 1

Started by Modelling_Mushi, May 25, 2009, 01:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modelling_Mushi

G'day all

Just started this one. I an basing this on a 1/72 scale PM Sea Fury T20 kit (donor plastic below).

Basically I am assuming that the RN in early 1945 were looking to modernise thier equipement with then then new jet powered aircraft and, in an attempt to get some type knowledge, called on established manufacturers to modify existing types by replacing piston with jet engines. Hawkers had submitted the Sea Hawk as a pure jet, new aircraft, and in response to the RN call submitted this as their jet modification of the Sea Fury.

The aircraft was based loosely on a T20 and was redsigned as a high altitude, two seat night fighter equipped with radar and cannon armament. I have named it the Hawker Penguin NF Mk 1.

Initail layout to follow later, I'll keep you posted as she progresses. At the moment she will be a chin intake, single engined machine with winglets and a boom style empennage, and be about 60% the length of a standard Sea Fury.

Ciao

Mass
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

GTX

Watching with interest.  I must admit, I've always thought the Sea Fury Trainer lent itself to turning the rear occupant around, adding a tail gun and making him a gunner of a dedicated ground attack version.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Rat

Quote from: GTX on May 25, 2009, 12:07:19 PM
Watching with interest.  I must admit, I've always thought the Sea Fury Trainer lent itself to turning the rear occupant around, adding a tail gun and making him a gunner of a dedicated ground attack version.

Regards,

Greg

And copied by the Russians as a Shturmovik? Red Stars would look cool.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Interesting....looking forward to seeing how this progresses, as your description of the finished product has me uttelry confused !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Modelling_Mushi

Should have a taped together mock up in a few days to post. If you think of a 1930's British prototype called the Pterodactyl (I think that's how it was spelt) you might get a bot more of an idea. Won't look much like a Sea Fury in the end . . .

Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Modelling_Mushi

OK, it's starting to take shape although I must admit it has changed a little bit in the process. I'm trying to keep it all from the kit, although I have had to revert to 4 or 5 "outsourced" parts. So here is a partly taped, partly glued progress shot.

So, how did it get here? I chopped the fuselage off just behnd the trailing edge and sliced backwards down to the tail to get the vertical tailpeice. I then chopped the cockpit coaming area off and am going to position this right forward, basically to the edge of what was the engine cowling. I have taken the nosecone from an F14 and have glued it half way up the engine cowling, giving a chin intake and a bit more length forward. It can be seen a bit better here (I am still working on my photography).

The wings, I took the kit wings and cut a wedge out (big side to rear) on both sides just outside the cannon ports, allowing me to "bend" the wing to give a bit of sweepback. I have spliced the Sea Fury drop tanks into the wingtips a la Sea Venom, and I think I have dumped the idea of winglets. A small section of Evergreen tube to plop an F100 burner can onto, and all I have to do now is sort out the T-tail and I can get it a bit further along. I have shortened the oleo legs, reduced the size of the wheels and u/c bays, and am working on the arrestor hook / refuelling probe/

Colour scheme will be either (at this stage) night undersides and extra dark sea grey uppers, or navy blue uppers and white lowers. Any thoughts on this?

Ciao

Mass

Modelling_Mushi

Hello All
Have made some progress, actually have all the main components (except canopy and T-tail) glued up, Milliputted in and sanded down with 120 & 240 grade paper. The basic shape is done, now to finesse it a bit, undercoat and look for holes!
Ciao

Mossie

Definately an odd looking beast, Penguin suits it!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Logan Hartke

Looks like a Royal Navy version of the Northrop F-89 Scorpion or a bit like an early North American T-2 Buckeye.  Your calipers tell you it's sleek but your eyes disagree.  Funny the way that was with those aircraft.

Looks to be a winner!

Logan

GTX

It's a Sea Fury Jim, but not as we know it...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

thedarkmaster

Starting to look like a winner, love the " forgotten " 1950's and 60's British aircraft that appear on this forum.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Tophe

:thumbsup: Nice! Il will ring the T-tail alarm to our T-tail expert JHM...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

cthulhu77

Geoff

pyro-manic

Now that is one bizarre-looking machine! :blink: Not sure if Sydney Camm would approve, but it's certainly unique. What colours will it wear?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<