avatar_Aussie747

What If Display at our Annual Competition

Started by Aussie747, May 24, 2009, 03:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie747

This weekend gone our model club, the Australian Capital Territory Scale Modellers Association (ACTSMS) held its annual competition - ScaleACT 09.

The organisers wanted a few displays to show off our work to the community and get the venue full of models so our Allan decided he would create a What If display. With some help from me and a few others we managed to get a few models together and created a What - If display.

I also had 3 What Ifs on the competition tables and scored an award from one of the traders as their favourite model of the show. It was my M-109 A6 in Aussie colours :D

So on to the pictures...










Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

The Rat

Excellent stuff, keep spreading the word!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

lenny100

love the look and thats a great display of what if Aussie planes
keep going and maybe you will get more awards, (One day we will win a best in show somewhere!"
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

JayBee

I love the B-50 with the Jindivik under the wing. Any chance of some more info. on it?

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

sequoiaranger

I REALLY like that theme/motto for the "What-if" model genre---"The New Frontier".

Over the years since I have been modeling, I have seen dozens, if not hundreds, of fine REPLICAS that are frankly a little dull, if only for the cumulative bombardment of such my old gray hairs have witnessed. Don't get me wrong, I ALWAYS like looking at a well-done model, but the subject matter, even as many types of, say, aircraft there are out there, gets harder and harder to inspire. The "boundaries" have been reached with replication. Then there are the "constraints" inherent in "simply" replicating something. You can only use your imagination so far to come up with the best REPLICATION (no mean feat sometimes, but I think you get what I mean).

That's why, even early on, I "switched" over to whifs. It seemed to me that this field had virtually NO constraints. One could go to ridiculous fantasy or keep tightly to reality but mix it up a little.

The "New Frontier" may not be all that new to us whiffers, but the "newness" can never stop as long as our imagination is intact!  :party:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Damian2

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Hobbes

A nice display, and I agree with sequoiaranger: that motto is fabulous.

GTX

QuoteIt was my M-109 A6 in Aussie colours

Do we actually have a picture of this - I must have missed it.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tigercat2

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 24, 2009, 09:12:05 AM
I REALLY like that theme/motto for the "What-if" model genre---"The New Frontier".

Over the years since I have been modeling, I have seen dozens, if not hundreds, of fine REPLICAS that are frankly a little dull, if only for the cumulative bombardment of such my old gray hairs have witnessed. Don't get me wrong, I ALWAYS like looking at a well-done model, but the subject matter, even as many types of, say, aircraft there are out there, gets harder and harder to inspire. The "boundaries" have been reached with replication. Then there are the "constraints" inherent in "simply" replicating something. You can only use your imagination so far to come up with the best REPLICATION (no mean feat sometimes, but I think you get what I mean).

That's why, even early on, I "switched" over to whifs. It seemed to me that this field had virtually NO constraints. One could go to ridiculous fantasy or keep tightly to reality but mix it up a little.

The "New Frontier" may not be all that new to us whiffers, but the "newness" can never stop as long as our imagination is intact!  :party:

I agree totally; I have been doing what ifs for about 40 years, and really enjoy the boundless possibilities that it offers.  Really liked the EA-6B in this show.


Wes W.

The Rat

Quote from: tigercat2 on May 24, 2009, 02:25:25 PMI agree totally; I have been doing what ifs for about 40 years, and really enjoy the boundless possibilities that it offers.

I made the inevitable whiffers when I was a kid, but they were just a result of normal boundless enthusiasm, not realising that I wasn't supposed to do stuff like that. After giving up the hobby for years I got back in about 20 years ago but only half-heartedly for a couple of years. Then about 6 years ago I saw some of the stuff that Alvis Petrie was turning out and I was floored! Not only was it (almost) permissible to make such stuff but it could even be done well! Reading his back stories was fun too, almost as much as making the model. To use a fishing metaphor - I was hooked, and when I found this site I was landed. Never looked back and have no intention of doing so. I might build a real world job every so often, but it isn't as much fun. I'm not slagging off those who do as long as they don't disdain our brand of lunacy. If they do I will show them no mercy.  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Aussie747

Quote from: JayBee on May 24, 2009, 07:50:14 AM
I love the B-50 with the Jindivik under the wing. Any chance of some more info. on it?

JimB

Jim,

Here is a link to the build thread I am running on it.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23418.0.html

Quote from: GTX on May 24, 2009, 12:18:22 PM
QuoteIt was my M-109 A6 in Aussie colours

Do we actually have a picture of this - I must have missed it.

Regards,

Greg

This one was posted a while ago as well.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23434.msg339789.html#msg339789
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz


Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Allan

Yes, all things considered, Ray and I put together quite a nice little What If display for the punters.
I took some shots as well and will post them soon.
Thanks, Ray.
Allan in Canberra

Nick

Wonderful stuff!  :thumbsup:

Any close-ups of the Aussie F-16's?