USAF Flankers, anyone?

Started by Supertom, May 20, 2009, 07:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Didn't see that one coming !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Supertom

There was another post recently (can't find it now for some reason) about 2 privately-owned Flankers.  So now we know, they're not for joyriding!
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

ChernayaAkula

I guess they'll be used like the Drakens and Kfirs of ATAC. Someone also uses Hunters in the DACT role.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Shasper

I dont think we'll be seeing these used for DACT but for electronic Green Flag type stuff . . . Now that I think about it, none of these "Rent a Badguy" companies offer DACT as a service (guess its the insurance!)

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Mossie

Didn't the US purchase some MiG-29's some years back 'to prevent them falling into undesirable hands' or somesuch?  Can't remember where from now, although I think they were bought to be scrapped? :unsure:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Shasper

Moldova seems to ring a bell . . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Shasper on May 20, 2009, 10:29:31 AM<....> none of these "Rent a Badguy" companies offer DACT as a service <...>

Really?  :o What's the point in flying these types of aircraft then? Wouldn't it be much more economical to use Learjet or something like that for hauling around some electronic gadgets. Okay, getting a Learjet to Mach 2 might pose some problems, but surely there would be other types that could do the job a lot cheaper than such "oddballs" as the Kfir, Draken or Flanker.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dragon

I had been thinking of making one as a NASA chase plane. :mellow:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

B777LR

I hope they will update these Flankii with more western avionics. Old early production Flankers are worthless in air-combat training. They offer nothing compared to the latest Flankers, offering vectored thrusting, helmet mounted HUD, better radars, ECMs etc. Even if they are only to be used in dogfights, they are not really gonna pose a realistic target in their current outfit.

Quote from: dragon on May 20, 2009, 08:57:12 PM
I had been thinking of making one as a NASA chase plane. :mellow:

Me too.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 20, 2009, 10:21:50 AM
Someone also uses Hunters in the DACT role.

There's a Canadian outfit that has a couple of camouflaged Mk58's but I thought they were just for film work  :huh:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Joe C-P

Too bad it wasn't the USN picking up a bunch to fill out their flight decks if the F-35C is delayed any further as the F/A-18As, Cs, and Ds wear out from overuse.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.