The MOOSE

Started by The Rat, May 19, 2009, 07:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

NOTE: This model is NOT entered in the Flying Boat, Sea Plane, and Amphibian Group Build, it was started long before that came up.

01.jpg

After the abortive attempts to bring the Convair Tradewind into some sort of long term position with the U.S. Navy the aircraft were offered for sale, but few buyers were willing to take over what had been regarded as a plumber's nightmare. The airframe was sound and tough, but the Allison T40 engines were dangerously unreliable. The T38 on which the powerplant was based eventually became the reliable T56, but mating two of them to produce the T40 introduced problems which could not be resolved in time to prevent the Navy from abandoning what had started as a very ambitious project. The intended 5,500 horsepower output was never achieved, but the aircraft still performed well at the lower powers available.

02.jpg
Canadair had shown an initial interest in the aircraft, and their engineering department concluded that it might be possible to replace the Allisons with the Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba developed for the Fairey Gannet. The 4,000 hp of the Double Mamba was more than sufficient to allow the airframe to meet almost all of its original design parameters, and after convincing the Canadian Government that it was a viable proposition the company acquired some funding toward the purchase of one airframe for the test installation and an option to purchase two more. A separate team was formed to attempt to resolve the problems with the Allison powerplant in case the Double Mamba idea did not work, but this eventually proved unnecessary.

03.jpg

After the expected fiddling to fit the new engines, successful ground tests and taxi trials indicated that the idea was eminently workable, and on May 19 1960 the aircraft left the water and performed a 45 minute flight. Over the next few weeks the trials proved the concept beyond question, and procurement of the two on option was finalised. Service with the Royal Canadian Navy commenced in 1961 and they went on to perform sterling service in the search and rescue, resupply, and evacuation roles.

04.jpg by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

As they neared the end of their military careers Canadair once again investigated further uses, and firebombing was an obvious choice. The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador bought one example as a high-speed responder to attack outbreaks ahead of the arrival of the purpose built but slower CL-215 fleet. Its bulbous nose contours meant that it was immediately saddled with the nickname Moose, but other than that there was no joking about the prestige attached to flying it into action.

05.jpg by Dave Bailey, on Flick

06.jpg

07.jpg
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

The Model

This was the ancient Revell pressing, 1/166th scale with rivets and panel lines in ½ scale. But she sure looks like a Tradewind to me and that's good enough for whiffing. I really should have learned by now that such overdone rivet detail should be totally sanded off, but I didn't and the results are there for all to gasp at. The raised decal placement markings of course had to go, a typical throwback to the fifties and sixties style. The only major work on the plastic itself was the carving out of the air intakes on the front of the engine nacelles, a simple but fiddly job. It has a fairly good fit overall, the only tricky bit being the wing floats which need a bit of trial and error whittling to sit properly. The raised nose needs a fair bit of filler to cover the gaps but any modeler with access to a shelf full of putty should not find this an impediment. It comes with a little short stand that resembles a frozen waterspout.

The paint was in some ways typical and surprising. The typical was the white – if any of you drop by for a visit please don't look too closely at those areas. The Model Master Acryl International Orange was the major surprise. I expected this to give me grief but it was actually one of the best paints I can remember ever working with and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

The decals are from Leading Edge, set #72.077 in 1/72nd scale, made originally for the Canadair CL-215. They seem a little thick and didn't react much to Micro Scale setting solution, but they seem securely stuck on, and when working with long bits like the side markings I would rather have thick and strong than thin and delicate! Some minor liberties were taken with the placement, but it is a different aircraft after all. The paint that I used to fill in below the decals was Gunze 6 Green, not a perfect match but I'll put that down to waterline weathering. Model Master Acryl Aluminum was used for the Corogard leading edges on wings and empennage. The trickiest part was reproducing the nacelle markings, the decal set was unusable on the Tradewind nacelles and there were also only two of them. With a tiny brush and a steady hand I was able to do what I humbly think is an acceptable representation of the originals. The windows and a few drilled out portholes were filled in with Micro Kristal Klear. The model was purchased at Pickering Hobbies, a local shop now sadly closed.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Vulcan7

Thats a beauty, ace paint scheme too  :ph34r: :tornado: :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

sandiego89

Very nice job.  Always loved the tradewind, was just looking at the stock version I built 8 years back on my bench last night.  A modern tooling would be most welcome with both the LST and sleeker nose- perhaps 1/144. Love the idea of the Mamba replacement.  Think it would also look good in the Martin Mars waterbomber paint job as well. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

I really like that Dave, very well executed  :bow: :bow:  I wonder who does the Tradewing in 1/72 scale ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Sisko

Those old fit the box scale Revell can be a real challange!

Yours looks outstanding mate! :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

The Rat

Thank you all gentlemen, it was a tough slog at times but worth it in the end. I learned a fair bit about how to handle the other 4 in the stash, rather grandiose plans that will challenge my limited abilities again.  ;D

cthulhu77

That's prettier than a twenty dollar hooker ! (language changed to be safe)

Seriously nice build there, Rat. Love the vibrant colour and those wings are stunning !

The Rat

Thanks Greg! The orange looks a little more red in those pics than in real life, don't know if it's my camera, the lighting, or just the limits of digital technology overall (They will pry the Fujichrome from my cold, dead hands  :wacko:).

frank2056

What a great looking plane! I love the turboprops, too.

What paint did you use for the white? (It looks fine to me, BTW) I've found that the white Acryl covers better than most whites.

kitbasher

That is really very good indeed.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sequoiaranger

I remember the old Tradewinds--there was sometimes one on San Diego Bay (Convair being adjacent to the Bay). I notice yours did not have the "gaping mouth" flip-up nose of the original kit, or did you just glue it shut?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

You know, the name Moose suits the Tradewind!  Nice conversion & backstory, & love the carrot& peas! :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Quote from: frank2056 on May 20, 2009, 09:13:11 AMWhat paint did you use for the white? (It looks fine to me, BTW) I've found that the white Acryl covers better than most whites.

Various depending on where you look. If Tamiya's white primer was glossy I would use nothing but that for evermore, it's the best white there is in my opinion.