Terrain For Hippos: Reviving the art of Cardboard Cottage Construction!

Started by puddingwrestler, May 18, 2009, 05:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

A lot of people seem to think making terrain is hard. It's not. It's so easy, even a hippo could do it. And to prove a hippo could do it, here's 'Terrain For Hippos', a new, visual step by step terrain building guide, hosted by professional Hippo, Grot Bag.

This started out breifly on my website, but what with the whiforum being down over the weekend, you all missed the excietment and get to jump on board the blog version instead - don't forget to vote for what you want features in Ishoo For.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

ChernayaAkula

:o Wow! That is very enlightening! :bow: Bookmark'd! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

puddingwrestler

Well, Ishoo Fiv should be going up later on today, quickly followed by Ishoo Six, and then a while later by Ishoo Seven. But for now, you can go and vote on what you want to see in Ishoo Ate! This time I've left plenty of Ishoos before the people's choice ishoo so I dont run out of stuff to do and get bored like last time...

Gof forth and vote my freinds! :thumbsup:
Linkypoo!

puddingwrestler

RotorheadTX

Brilliant!

Very informative, and quite amusing.

Thanks!!

puddingwrestler

Ishoo six is now online!
link

puddingwrestler

For the full, startling details, see here!

puddingwrestler

puddingwrestler

puddingwrestler

And don't forget to vote on the next people's choice ishoo!

puddingwrestler

Ishoo eleven is fially on line.
What can I say; castles take forever even in 15mm...

Weaver

Hi PW.

Liked the Ork Drop Ship, and while looking around Hobbycraft, I noticed that they've got egg shapes as well as spheres. Now this got me thinking: because of my HOG GB build, I've been perusing the TTA handbook Spacewreck a lot, and a number of Peter Elson's paintings feature an egg-shaped drop-ship-type vehicle, which might be doable. However, it's not rough Orky-style, rather it's gleaming-white 2001-style with precise panel lines etc...

So my question is: what would you cover one of the foam shapes with in order to get a smooth(ish) finish? There wouldn't need to be much stuck onto the outside of the covering because it's a pretty smooth profile, although you would need to cut into it, because the landing legs are retractable. The covering could be in panels, in fact that would be helpful in giving recessed panel lines, but they'd still need to conform to the curvature instead of crinkling.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Bog auto body filler putty? I know many fillers/putties eat into the polystyrene. Tamiya contour putty certainly does.

Either that or use a L'eggs pantyhose canister (if they are avialable in your country; they are not in Australia) which is plastic and egg shaped.

To be honest, I've never tried to do anything like what you are talking about.

philp

L'eggs no longer come in the plastic egg, more's the pity.  I actually want to do a Union Class Dropship in 1/285th scale (ok, would love to do it in 1/72nd but don't think I could get it through the door) someday and have been looking for plastic balls about 13 inches in diameter.

I wouldn't use putty on styrofoam as it would melt the heck out of it.  Maybe use a wall compound like spakle or something.  Should be able to coat it on and then sand it smooth afterwards.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

deathjester

The very best, most hi tech material I have found for this sort of thing is....paper.  And PVA glue.
Both of which are non reactive with polystyrene, and will seal it against whatever paint you choose to employ.