Lang-Austin "CRUCIBLE"

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 07, 2004, 10:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Taking a big risk here but the attached is my first concept sketch of an urban commando vehicle specifically designed to demoralize owners of the much-hyped civilian Hummer variants.  There's more and more of them on the road here and they all seem to be the kind of guys who are feeling the need to...ah...compensate for a certain something lacking in their anatomy.  I figure if you're going to be driving in something purely for the intimidation factor, you may as well do it up right.  With this ugly, utilitarian beastie, you could simply drive right over all the James Cameron and Ahnold wannabes!

The "Lang-Austin" moniker is a fictional megacorporation I dreamed up when I was a kid.  Kind of a GMC-meets-SAAB-meets-Lucasfilm dream company.

At any rate, here it is.  Goal is to produce a scratchbuilt 1:24 vehicle complete with an interior.  What I seek from you talented, creative buggers are all those ideas and add-ons that I have not considered (but should have).  At this point, the vehicle is purposely much closer to its military roots than a GM Hummer.  Not the kind of vehicle you pick gramma up in.

Lang-Austin's ad-slogan would be "Rule Every Road."

An alternative ad-slogan for this vehicle would simply be:

"Hush Little Hummer."

Oh, and the dreadful mileage is a purposeful attempt to reach out to those conspicuous consumption types who need to demonstrate to the world that they can afford to light their Cuban cigars with hundred-dollar-bills, anyhow!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

lancer

Well, for a start, even on THAT monster, you'd need RWR's on the police bands to alert you to speed traps, some kind of counter measures would also be kinda good. A kick arse stereo system would be De Riguer for this vehicle, as would a HUD, just so you don't have to look down when you squash those petty little hummers like bugs..*WEG*. How about a couple of 30 mm cannon as well, just to del with those annoying nerks that annoy the hell out of you in the mornings, or traffic census takers - I HATE those!!!!! . This help any Bazzer??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ollie

I would add a pad for a neat little Robinson R22 on top of that!

:P  :wub:  

elmayerle

One single-barreld 30mm cannon in a turret to act as the ultimate turn signal, as in "I *AM* turning that way!"
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

nev

Baz, do you do design drawings for all your wonderful creations?

BTW, see my Twilight 2000 thread, I reckon your beastie would fit right in!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

QuoteWell, for a start, even on THAT monster, you'd need RWR's on the police bands to alert you to speed traps, some kind of counter measures would also be kinda good. A kick arse stereo system would be De Riguer for this vehicle, as would a HUD, just so you don't have to look down when you squash those petty little hummers like bugs..*WEG*. How about a couple of 30 mm cannon as well, just to del with those annoying nerks that annoy the hell out of you in the mornings, or traffic census takers - I HATE those!!!!! . This help any Bazzer??
ooooo, "Bazzer."  That could stick.  All good ideas, fellas.

a. What is considered the penultimate in auto audio these days (you're talking to a guy with a DVD in his mini-van----not so hip).

b. HUD just became a "must have."

Might be a dumb question, but what IS a "traffic census taker"?  

Nev, I do a lot of goofy drawings.  Some decent, some, like the Crucible, drawn while slogging down pizza/root beer and watching something horrific on TV.  Here's a sketch of my "Maelstrom" Swedish 7th generation MRCA.

Nick

Well, for a suitable in-car stereo system you'd have to be looking for the top notch internal speakers and players tweaked to provide the best sound regardless of whatever is playing, a nice big plasma screen which can fold down from the ceiling inside to watch (or even project the film onto the windscreen HUD display when parked!). :)

Of course you need to annoy everyone outside with whatever you're listening to so a pair of US Marine Corps battlefield speakers as used to demoralise enemy troops which can be heard in the middle of the Battle of the Somme let alone while cruising thru the suburbs to visit Gran and Grandad. :D

Nick B)  

Ollie

Looks good Barry, but that fighter is too F-15ish.  Cut down the size and put only one stove in it.

;)  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteLooks good Barry, but that fighter is too F-15ish.  Cut down the size and put only one stove in it.

;)
But that would be my "Straken" (already done).

John Howling Mouse

QuoteWell, for a suitable in-car stereo system you'd have to be looking for the top notch internal speakers and players tweaked to provide the best sound regardless of whatever is playing, a nice big plasma screen which can fold down from the ceiling inside to watch (or even project the film onto the windscreen HUD display when parked!). :)

Of course you need to annoy everyone outside with whatever you're listening to so a pair of US Marine Corps battlefield speakers as used to demoralise enemy troops which can be heard in the middle of the Battle of the Somme let alone while cruising thru the suburbs to visit Gran and Grandad. :D

Nick B)
I need a brandname and, if possible, a model series for this pentultimate (PHAT) auto audio system.

What's the top name in the business these days?

Or I could go "what if" entirely and make up my own:

Could be a "Pomerleau"????   ^_^
"Lacombe" sounds cool.   The "RAD" by Lacombe?

Ollie

Oh, the AWTF All-Weather Tactical Fighter (or as the crew refer to it Awww What The F*ck is that).  

:D

Don't want my name associated with it.

Barry, go to futureshop.ca, check car audio and just pick the most expensive stuff from everything.  That's what I would do.

:P  

nev

I believe Blaupunkt are meant to be top notch stuff.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Shasper

Stingers, dont forget the Stingers for those pesky police helo's! And you'll TOW or Hellfires for the roadblocks!

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

John Howling Mouse

Cool (naturally).  Blaupunkt and missiles, it is, then.

And even the ADM's (Anti-Dickhead-Missiles) can have "Blaupunkt"
logos, too!

With the Lang-Austin Crucible, you will always have "the right of way."

^_^  ;)  

JoeP

QuoteWith the Lang-Austin Crucible, you will always have "the right of way."

^_^  ;)
Feh, I've got one that'll flatten yours.  :P

The Mack Truck SUV, armed w/ concert-level speaker system continuously playing the complete works of Nana Mouskouri.  
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.