Hi folks,

How about some Fairey Barracuda whiffs - I'll start:

Some late war AEW or ASW versions:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Now that I like!

The Radar-Barra looks the part a treat. Not only that, I have the bits to make one too..........

But probably not enough room on the bench to fit it with all the other projects I have running just now!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Maybe some alternative operators:

USN?
RAN?
RSAN?
RNZN?
USSR or even...Japan (if you ignore the fin flash, this one below could almost have Hinomorus on it):

Regards,

Greg

raafif

tut, tut, isn't the Barra ugly enough without sticking a radar belly on it ? :wacko:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: raafif on May 03, 2009, 05:57:42 PM
tut, tut, isn't the Barra ugly enough without sticking a radar belly on it ? :wacko:

Eh? The Barra doesn't even come CLOSE in the 'World's Ugliest Aircraft' competition.

You want Ugly? Try a Blackburn Blackburn, yeuk! Or that diabolocal 'thing' that Boeing made from a 747 to carry bits of 777 about, strewth....... :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 04, 2009, 04:04:50 AM
Quote from: raafif on May 03, 2009, 05:57:42 PM

Eh? The Barra doesn't even come CLOSE in the 'World's Ugliest Aircraft' competition.

You want Ugly? Try a Blackburn Blackburn, yeuk! Or that diabolocal 'thing' that Boeing made from a 747 to carry bits of 777 about, strewth....... :banghead:

787 parts actually Kit.  ;D

And as I see them fly over the house on a regular basis I have to disagree about their level of ugliness.
The Dreamlifter (daft name, I'll give you that) is still a 747 and thus her root prettiness still comes through as she passes overhead.  ;D
I'm admittedly biased as I worked on the 747 and have always thought her the most attractive of the large jets.

Jon

Mossie

Always thought the Barracuda might be ugglied up even more with the introdutcion of a RR Vulture & a suitably odd looking intake.

The Dreamlifter kind of reminds me of an armadillo, not ugly as such, just bizzare.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 05, 2009, 11:47:01 AM
787 parts actually Kit.  ;D

Whatever, a similar job to the Beluga anyway.

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 05, 2009, 11:47:01 AM
And as I see them fly over the house on a regular basis I have to disagree about their level of ugliness.
The Dreamlifter (daft name, I'll give you that) is still a 747 and thus her root prettiness still comes through as she passes overhead.  ;D

As always, it's in the eye of the beholder of course.

To my mind the Beluga, vast though it is, has much more 'style' than the Dreamlifter. The Boeing's fuselage transitions just don't hack it for me. I'm within visual range of Belugas flying into Filton, they look like fast Zeppelins from here......

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Well I came across this photo, Griffon power egg installation
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 05, 2009, 04:49:36 PM

To my mind the Beluga, vast though it is, has much more 'style' than the Dreamlifter. The Boeing's fuselage transitions just don't hack it for me. I'm within visual range of Belugas flying into Filton, they look like fast Zeppelins from here......

The first time I saw 747-LCF it was fairly low and the sky was filled with multiple layers of cloud ... the aircraft appeared from one cloud and went into another with only the fuselage clearly in view, the first thing that popped into my head was 'Zeppelin'.  ;D

Being quite familiar with the 747 structural layout, I have to say they didn't have much choice in the transitions as the aircraft are rebuilds and
they had to do it with as few modifications to the 41 Section as possible. Redesigning the front end would have raised the cost enormously.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 05, 2009, 05:39:42 PM
Well I came across this photo, Griffon power egg installation

Robert,

That's getting there in the ugliness stakes anyway.  :lol:

Those are some SERIOUSLY broad prop blades, I wonder if they nicked them off a Ta-152.........?

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Heck, that griffon powered monstrosity is, well, a monstrosity!  Must be built!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Got to thinking about it last night, it might be the Merlin power egg found on Lancaster Mk.VI and Lincolns, the spinner looks quite blunt.

EDIT:  no I've found another photo of it, it is the prototype of the Mk.V and did have a Griffon.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

That dorsal fin makes it look even worse, if that's possible! Fairey's Design Office seem to have been taking ugly pills while they 'developed' the Barra.

Regards
Kit

GTX

QuoteEDIT:  no I've found another photo of it, it is the prototype of the Mk.V and did have a Griffon.

Which is what I based my first profiles upon.

Regards,

Greg