F/A 35D Corsair III

Started by chrisonord, April 24, 2009, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This project was started whilst waiting for some paint to dry on my Mirage BZ. The aircraft is the italeri X-35 JSF, which I have already built oob.
This one will be a bit different though. This will have 6 wing mounted hardpoints, for precision guided bombs and missiles, and also for a limited load of dumb bombs, cluster bombs or additional aam's. The engine nozzle that in the kit can only be mounted facing the ground, has been replaced by one from an F-16.
All the V/STOL doors vents etc, have been blanked off as this plane will be taking off and landing normally and will be fitted with an arrestor hook so it can land and take off from aircraft carriers. As far as the stealth aspect of the aircraft being compromised, it can quickly be converted back into a stealthy fighter when need be.It will also be in Marines markings and a suitable camo scheme will be added.
I will do some pics when it is looking more like an aeroplane.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

chrisonord

Just did some more work to this thing, it is turning out to be one heck of a putty monster, as some of the parts just won't line up properly and the gaps are horrendous. The other one I built did not have these problems at all. The pylons that I am going to fit on it are from an F-18, so they should not look too far out of place. Weapons wise I have not decided what to put on it yet, apart from the wing tip sidewinders.
Cheers,
Chris.

chrisonord

Here are some pictures of what I have done so far, I have give it a coat of paint to find where I need to fill it some more, thF-16 engine is fitted and the wing tip wider rails are on.

Cheers,
Chris.

Sauragnmon

She looks rather nice and clean, Chris, she's coming along nicely.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

BlackOps

Lookin good Chris, this reminds me, I've got to get back to work on my single tail F-35. I like the name you've chosen for yours.  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

chrisonord

I did a bit more work to this thing tonight, I have fitted six under wing pylons, fitted the tail wings and gave it another coat of paint.
I have decided on a load out for it now also, 4 LGB's and a pair of HARM's. It's purpose as part of my task force will be to sniff out and destroy cartel mobile SAM launchers and radar installations.

chrisonord

Here is what i have done so far, but still some way to go yet. Landing gear doors weapons and decals to be fitted as yet, and I need to get rid of the dirty great finger print on the upper fuselage  :banghead:
I need to have a look through my decals for a US Marine air wing that used to use Corsairs, in low vis, if there isn't any I will have to scour the net and see if I can mix and match some.

Cheers,
Chris. 

jeff3385

Chris,

That is just downright wicked looking. Great job on something that should have been.  :party:
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

chrisonord

After looking for low vis marine unit decals, I found that there was not any!! So this thing will now belong to the Navy :angry:
But never mind, the marines will have enough air power by the time I have finished this project. Apart from the amount of putty this thing needed and the badly fitting canopy, this build has been fairly painless.....which is nice.

Aircav

I think I have some low-viz USMC AV-8B markings from a 1/48 Hasegawa kit if you want.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

chrisonord

Quote from: Aircav on April 28, 2009, 11:48:54 AM
I think I have some low-viz USMC AV-8B markings from a 1/48 Hasegawa kit if you want.
Thanks for the offer aircav, I have lots of Marine markings, I just wanted to put the plane in the markings of a Marine A-7 corsair unit.
But there is not any units that used them(that I can find) that used them in low vis colours and markings.
It is adorned with Navy decals based aboard the USS Enterprise.
Cheers,
Chris. 

Ed S

Chris, the Marines never flew the A-7.  If you want Marine markings, then you'll need them from an A-4 or AV-8.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

chrisonord

Thanks for that Ed,
I have just been doing some homework, and found that out. The F-35 is now in Navy markings.
I have just finished this build, and will try and get some pictures done tomorrow, then I can get the mirage finished.
:cheers:
Chris.

Shasper

Now in the alternate world the jarheads would've been flying the A-7, but instead they went for the Mike Scooter. But dont forget the Corps did fly the original Corsair . . . and Black Sheep mkgs might actually make the turd look respectable.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

chrisonord

Here is the (nearly) final product, I just need to touch the tyres and wheels up a bit.
I have put one of my A-7's in and my other F-35 in some of the pics also, just as a family photo  :lol:

Cheers,
Chris.