Building Interceptors

Started by mcollazo, April 21, 2009, 08:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcollazo

When I was growing up my father encouraged me to build a lot of models.  It kept my imagination going and I guess it kept me away from the TV.  One of the models I built as a kid was actually a flying model rocket by ESTES called the interceptor.

This airplane looking rocket was beautiful and very very graceful.  By accident when I was building I misaligned one of he leading edges to the F-104 type wings on the Interceptor so when we launched this bird it actually did a beautiful victory roll upon launch.  I was all concerned but my dad was delighted because it looked just like a real fighter doing its thing. 

I always enjoyed the interceptor and wondered how a modern bird look if we built it that way.  So .... thanks to a genrous donation from Tigercat2 I started on a version of an interceptor.  I will post more picturs of it as it goes along and I have another kit that I will probably build in the Interceptor Scheme very soon, as allways let me know what you think.

This is what I have so far, bear with me I started last night.

The progress continues

I continued working on the Interceptor project.  The biggest mistake I made was the plastic choosing anything containing red was a bad idea.  It took several hands of primer to get it covered.  I finally ended buying a can of grey primer and blasting away.  The primer ended up looking the right look for the project a light ghost gray.  So gray it stayed, applied some gloss coat to cover pores so I could get some low vis decals on the bird and get it on a stand.  The stand is a 59cent piece of sculpted wood from Michaels which I will finish later properly.  The actual stand is a piece of styrene from a circular sprue I had (not a big surprise if you have been reading my posts) so here is where we are on the interceptor at this point.

Oh, by the way yes that is a rocket pod in the back, in honor of one of the greatest F-104's the Rocket Powered NF-104 I added my version of a rocket pod to the interceptor. My version is not as clean as the NF-104 but I think you'll like it it is in the place where the Rudder would normally be on the F-16 donor fuselage. 

Will update as soon as I get more work done.

Blessings,

Manuel Collazo
Licensed Minister of Stewardship Education and Development
Christian Church in Florida (Disciples of Christ)
895 N. Jericho Drive
Casselberry, FL  32707
Phone:  407-699-5036
Cell:       321-946-0453
Fax:        866- 739-9257
email:   manuel.collazo@mac.com

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Sauragnmon

Certainly quite an interesting bash, the Viper certainly has changed.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

mcollazo

It's interesting what happens when inspiration hits a box of spare parts.
Manuel Collazo
Licensed Minister of Stewardship Education and Development
Christian Church in Florida (Disciples of Christ)
895 N. Jericho Drive
Casselberry, FL  32707
Phone:  407-699-5036
Cell:       321-946-0453
Fax:        866- 739-9257
email:   manuel.collazo@mac.com

Rafael

Quote from: mcollazo on April 21, 2009, 10:57:52 AM
It's interesting what happens when inspiration hits a box of spare parts.

And, like this model shows, specially when you're involved in the crash :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

That's a good beginning-I'll keep my eye on this one.
Allan in Canberra