Alternative Biggles, from the lost files of W.E.Johns

Started by Radish, April 21, 2009, 04:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Chaps, having read 28 of the original Biggles stories recently, and with a few(??!!!) more to go, there have been some interesting developments in the lost archives of W.E.Johns that need to be mentioned, namely the outline plots of a number of stories that Johns didn't complete or publish.
The first of these to be described is:

"Biggles: Into the Wind", a WW2-based tale, where Biggles and friends are carrier-based on HMS Sutherland, in the Pacific. Various aircraft feature in attacks against Japanese battleships and convoys, including Corsairs, Wildcats and Avengers. Also, Biggles flies a Catalina to rescue POWs.

Any other stories you may have discovered?

Remember, the majority of Biggles stories feature in the period 1930-1960. :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

raafif

Don't know any that he was planning. Is there a list of Biggles titles with publish date & basic plot lines ??

How about Biggles et al transferring to the RNAS & flying Wyverns in the Suez or Korea.  Plenty of mystery ideas there with the assasination of Nasser etc :unsure:

or maybe flying Brigands in Malaya  :unsure:

OR
    Biggles follows my cousin's career -- attached to RAF Intelligence in 1950, he's based in East Berlin & roams East Germany in an armoured Ford sedan with heavily tinted glass to keep an eye on Ruski moves to invade the West ....
see the true story here .... http://www.brixmis.co.uk/

I could tell you more of what he got up to there but I'd have to kill you afterwards
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

NARSES2

The National Army Museum in London has a nice permanent display on the "BRIXMIS" operations. I wasn't aware of it until I saw the display, very interesting
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: raafif on April 24, 2009, 05:25:20 PM
Biggles follows my cousin's career -- attached to RAF Intelligence in 1950, he's based in East Berlin & roams East Germany in an armoured Ford sedan with heavily tinted glass to keep an eye on Ruski moves to invade the West ....
see the true story here .... http://www.brixmis.co.uk/

One of the BRIXMIS 4x4 Senators is on display at Cosford, in the Cold War Hangar. I was grovelling on the floor trying to confirm that it really did have the Ferguson 4x4 system when one of the attendants asked me what I was doing....  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mike Wren

one day I'll get round to converting a 1/43 diecast Minichamps Opel Senator into a BRIXMIS car, and a Range Rover & G Wagen too...  :tank:

Nick

If you want to borrow my copy of BRIXMIS by Tony Geraghty just ask. Great reading!

What about 'Biggles Legs It', where our dashing fighter pilot hero has been shot down over France and has to get away from the blasted Hun? n doing this he is caught in-flagrante by the husband of the blonde he's been <ahem> sheltering with and has to make a run for it through town under cerfew minus his trousers. Brought to safety by the Resistance, he steals a top secret German plane (the Me-262XL Zwilling) and flies safely to England, stopping off en-route to pick up Ginger from his hiding place in a dung heap.

Or does that sound too far fetched?  :lol:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on April 28, 2009, 06:50:55 AM
Or does that sound too far fetched?  :lol:

Nick,

Come on! This is Whiffland, there isn't ANYthing that's too far fetched here.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

raafif

hey guys,
  here's an excellent site on W.E. Johns & the Biggles books  :thumbsup:
http://www.wejohns.com

Includes link to another site where you can buy reprints of the older books.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.