Grumman Gander, Now Done!

Started by sequoiaranger, April 19, 2009, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

This is an entry in the "Floaty Things" GB now going on. More detail and pics there and soon-to-be in my Gallery.

This is an upgraded Grumman "Duck" attack fighter on board the Philippine seaplane carrier "Manila" (See "Furashita's Fleet" for details of the ship) to counter the Nakajima "Rufe" floatplane fighter. Japan responds with the Kawanishi "Kyofu" in a floatplane arms race. Then the US Navy has Grumman ditch the pedestal float to enable a large, hard-hitting fighter known as the "Hellcat". Japan does something similar to make its Kyofu into its Shiden-Kai, but the US Navy does it first and better.

I widened the "Duck"'s pedestal float, made the outrigger floats "retractable", stuck on and blended a Hellcat fuselage and wings, and gouged out a second seat and defensive armament. The unique "Birds and Worms" camouflage is just my insanity coming through.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

The Rat

YOWZA!!!  :wub: Stunning, that's all I've got to say, just stunning.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

I just love the effect of the camo, really well done   :bow: :bow:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

Outstanding, SR! Your modifications are absolutely pro-style and that amazing camo scheme takes it to the next level and looks great with Filippino markings!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

frank2056

Wow Craig! I love the Escher-like camo pattern. Nice aircraft design, too.

John Howling Mouse

Fantastic!  This is really creative.  The armament, the float mods, the rear gunner---a very exciting scheme, too...very cool!  Did you embellish the shadowlines in post-production or did that just happen when you took the outdoor pics?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

This came out great! I too am diggin' the paint work!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

JayBee

Ye Gods! :thumbsup: :bow: :cheers:
My flabber is totally gassted!

That is one sensational model, conception, build, paintwork, backhistory. Everything, and it has a sharkmouth.

If I had a hat on I would take it off to you.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sequoiaranger

JHM--A little "photoshopping" and you can see how it would look with wheels and floats retracted (still on the ground, though!).

Thank you all for the kind words. This turned out better than I had envisioned, and I appreciate the appreciation!

Rafael

This is way beyond awesome, SR, that camo and the modifications are wonderful!!!
Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

noxioux

Superb.  Really something out of left field! :wub: :wub:

van883

Tophe

Very interesting addition to the Hellcat family, after the Bubble Hellcat... Definitely, you make me prefer the pleasant What-if universe to the sad Real World. Thanks a lot... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sequoiaranger

>Really something out of left field!<

Isn't that were "whiffers" belong??

(for non-Americans, or non-baseball types, "out of left field" is a phrase used to describe something appearing from an unexpected direction, "came out of nowhere", something you don't see every day, or something weird. Its worst connotation is something inappropriate [undoubtedly the interpretation of JMN's]--I'll take them all!)