TSR.2 jigs in storage?

Started by Nick, April 18, 2009, 03:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Went to an interesting talk today about the former Chemical Weapons factory at Rhydymwyn in North Wales, used to make Mustard Gas for bombs in World War 2 among other interesting things.

Part of the site has 3 long tunnels in the hillside which were used for storing the finished chemicals in quantity, prior to shipping them out to the filling sites in Anglia.

Since closure these tunnels have had various rumours linked to them including the storage of the production jigs for the TSR.2! No, these were not burnt but actually smuggled away for future resurrection :rolleyes:!

Other rumours include the Strategic Steam Reserve, this came from an old lady hearing steam train sounds at night, these turned out to be pumps for pneumatic drills in the nearby mine. Plans were actually proposed for Bank of England gold and/or survivor fallout shelters in a nuclear war but they'd have to share it with Lord Lucan riding Shergar!

The Rat

Quote from: Nick on April 18, 2009, 03:05:30 PMSince closure these tunnels have had various rumours linked to them including the storage of the production jigs for the TSR.2! No, these were not burnt but actually smuggled away for future resurrection

A nice thought, but when dealing with politicians remember this - when trying to produce something they will usually screw up, when trying to destroy something they are ruthlessly efficient.  >:(
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GTX

Even if the jigs did re-appear, it till wouldn't get airfix to increase their production...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

RLBH

The site's now owned by DEFRA, of all organisations. Absolutely nothing in the tunnels, it would appear, and they're partially flooded:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/r/rhydymwyn/report.html

Aircav

Theres something about old tunnels and what could be hidden in them, I'd love to explore the Maginot line and Hitlers tunnels in the Lüneburg Heath
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

NARSES2

Quote from: Aircav on April 20, 2009, 01:14:31 PM
Theres something about old tunnels and what could be hidden in them,

Yea like snakes, lizards and other creepy crawlies  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 21, 2009, 01:14:25 AM
Quote from: Aircav on April 20, 2009, 01:14:31 PM
Theres something about old tunnels and what could be hidden in them,

Yea like snakes, lizards and other creepy crawlies  :o

COOL! When do we go?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr