Trade Federation tank

Started by Sisko, April 17, 2009, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sisko

I know, I know it isn't strictly a whif but it's all I've got to show for about 2 1/2 months work.

I have been very busy with work and life stuff so I havn't been modelling as much I should have. And when I do model, it's this plastic turd that I have been working on. This kit has really has sucked my will to go into the shed and model.

This kit is a Dog with a capital D. A real putty hog with poor fit and a kit assembly which just makes you go WTF!

I mean grilles with seams down the middle, miss matched panel lines and massive internal areas with no support so when assembled sags like a pensioners bum. Sink marks, soft detail and barrel so out of round I had to scratch build a new one.

I have a good friend that says that when a US modelling company decides to tool up for a Sci-Fi kit that they give it to the junior to make the tooling. In this kits case I think they got the cleaner to do it.

Why do persist with it you ask! Well I am just bloody minded and will not let it beat me!

Any way the pics are below. The main paintjob is done and now the weathering starts.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

noxioux

Looks like you got a handle on it.  It certainly doesn't look like a dog now.

philp

I had one of these that I was going to try and do the full interior on using the cutaway book.  Could never find any droids the right size to crew it though.  Looks like I either sold it or gave it to my kid (there is a busted up one in his box of disuse).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

Something like this in a WWII scheme (any nation) would look cool.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sisko

Quote from: philp on April 17, 2009, 07:02:02 PM
I had one of these that I was going to try and do the full interior on using the cutaway book.  Could never find any droids the right size to crew it though.  Looks like I either sold it or gave it to my kid (there is a busted up one in his box of disuse).

Thanks it actually comes up pretty well in the pics.

Full Interior! You would have to set aside about a year to do it. :o

I have seen somewhere it done in a WWII german scheme and it did look very cool.

puddingwrestler

When confronted by bad kits, never say WTF, always say WHTF (Whiff The Fragger!)

or pack with explosives I guess.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Sisko

Almost finished!

Plenty of weathering and chipping. I tried to follow the paint guide on the instruction sheet as well as some info I got from the Starship modeller site and they contradict each other.

So I applied the Sisko rule here.

"In the case that two or more references have conflicting information, go with what ever looks the coolest"

So I did and I also tried some new techniques for weathering using pastels and I am very happy with the results.

I know that a build update here without photos, is akin to sleeping with your sister, but my camera batteries need charging. Thanks wife!!!!

So expect photos soon.

philp

Hey, the interior doesn't look that hard, does it?

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Sisko

Sisko

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Looks really good from here...... maybe for the next one.... Berlin Brigade scheme  :thumbsup: - Always enjoy your AFV projects, Sisko, very inspiring.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Vulcan7

That's a real beauty Sisko, excellent build and paint work, especially the weathering  :ph34r: :thumbsup: :tornado:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

jorel62

philp

Came out nice and the colors look good.
What ones did you use?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Daryl J.

Oh yeah, that looks good! 
The color combination looks the part too.

:cheers:
Daryl J.