Airliners...........

Started by wingman77, April 09, 2009, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman77

Hello All!

I have been a "guest" on this site for a while and today have made the momentus decision to sign-up!  There is some incredible ideas on here!  My personal interest is in "airliner" what-ifs. I think this goes back to my childhood when I can remember seeing in aviation magazines "Artist's Impressions" released by Boeing, Fokker, Airbus etc of various aircraft they were hopeful of selling to airlines in that airlines livery. Since then I've created many many models of airliners in "what-if" schemes. Being an Australian, most of my work is on Australian airlines. It suprises me looking around the web that I can't find much else interest in "what-if" airliners.

Attached is a small sample of some of my models. Although I have built many kits, most of the whiffing for the airliners I get from painting and livery development, so I tend to simply repaint existing snap-fit models.

I would be interested if any one else has similar interests..

wingman77

NARSES2

Nice work - our "own" PR19 has a nice collection of Wif Airliners
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Hello there Wingman, (Chris 'NARSES2' just beat me to it  ;D )

Whiffing airliners? You bet.........  :lol:

My modelling interests are split between 1/72 military and 1/144 airliners, and I've been known to do Whiffs of both types.

The big KLM thingie is an Airbus 390, a stop gap in case the A380 didn't work out. Made by zipping up three Beluga fuselages, with the cockpit 'de-snooted', lengthened A340 wings, with two lots of A330 engines, a 747 fin and DC10 tailplanes.

The ugly Cathay Pacific device is a model of a real world Boeing project (I kid you not....) that eventually ended up as the 777. Needless to say it's a shortened Revell 767-300 with a 737-300 inverted on the top, with some winglets added.

The 'in build' pic is the longer version of the one above, with a 737-400 as the upper part. I'm not sure which airline it will be in the end. The 1.5 decked projects became known as the 'Hunchbacks of Mukilteo', apparently after the design office that came up with the idea.

I've also done a 707-900, consisting of three Frog 707s joined up with wings extended at the roots, done in a PanAm scheme. There's piccies of it included in the Milton Keyne's Show pics thread somewhere.

You are not alone.......  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Brian da Basher

Welcome wingman! I'm glad you decided to de-lurk and join the insanity! I always find airliner whiffs interesting and enjoy building them myself. Often the paint schemes are deceptively simple and it never ceases to amaze me how everything suddenly comes together when you get the decals on.

Right now I'm working on converting a 1/144 Airfix Caravelle into a twin-engine turboprop. Today I hope to scratchbuild the engines out of drop-tanks. I reposititioned the horiz. stabs. on the rear fuse where the jets are supposed to be. It will be finished in TWA livery (oddly enough, the 1/200 scale TWA decals are a pretty good fit).

Your Ansett birds are very well done, absolutely top-shelf, and the red Virgin airliner would turn a lot of heads at any show. Thank you for posting them and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Here's pics of a couple of airliner whiffs I've built recently. A modified B-36, DC-6 and Airfix Walrus. I hope you enjoy.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

wingman77

Thanks guys some really amazing stuff there! I can't imagine the amount of work that went in to that KLM "A390"!!!!!

Attached are some more pics......FYI for those not aware.....Qantas never operated in the 727 (in Qantas colours), Jetstar has the 787 on order.....Ansett never operated the BAe146 in it's 1970s red livery....and Virgin Blue doesn't operate the Dash 8. I have to say the Dash 8 is one of my favourite projects of all time....it just looks so good in these colours!

I have a few ideas for some what-ifs.....very keen on doing a Fokker F-28 in US Navy colours for their COD proposal. Has anyone got experience in cutting down a 1/144 F-100 into an F-28?

BlackOps

Welcome aboard wingman, glad you've decided to delurk, some very nice work you've got here  :thumbsup:

It was also nice to the the others work again too!  :party:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

BdaB was just telling me about some of his airliner whiffing ideas.  Seeing all these great ideas, this is something I'm going to have to explore.  Nice change of pace to build something that doesn't kill people.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

PR19_Kit

Wingman,

I haven't done the F100 -> F28 cut down, 'but I know a man who has'. Apparently it's a pretty straighforward job, and of course you need to change the engines as well, but then shortening and stretching airliners is meat and veg for Whiffers.

It's a lot easier than many military Whifs and you can use the left over bits for another job, viz making a DC9-20 and a -50 out of two Airfix -30s etc. One day I'm going to make an A329 and an A316, the 316 will have the tailplane almost overlapping the wings.  :lol:

At the opposite end of the scale I meant to post this one of mine, currently in progress. Remember the stretched 777 that the Star Alliance used when the launched their grouping back in '97? How about this? The black DC9-30 (the 'Playboy' Black Bunny) is 1/144 scale.....

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 10, 2009, 02:16:06 AM

The 'in build' pic is the longer version of the one above, with a 737-400 as the upper part. I'm not sure which airline it will be in the end. The 1.5 decked projects became known as the 'Hunchbacks of Mukilteo', apparently after the design office that came up with the idea.

Hi Kit,
Mukilteo, Washington is a small community next to Boeing's Everett facility.

My favourite local brewery and alehouse, Diamond Knot Brewing Company, is located in Mukilteo.
http://www.diamondknot.com/FrontStreet/main.html

Jon

GTX

Very nice work.  What's your source for 787 kits?

Regards,

Greg

BTW, Welcome aboard.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Woo, another airliner modeler!!!

Tell me, are you A or B, B or E or S or M, A or B, McD or LM, T or A?

Here is a DC-9 that got turned into a Soviet design :thumbsup:

Also on the bench, a Lufthansa Cityline DC-9-50, FlyBe DC-9-30, KLM-old colours for Boeing 737-700 (no winglets), KLM old colours for Boeing 777-200 :thumbsup:

GTX

QuoteTell me, are you A or B, B or E or S or M, A or B, McD or LM, T or A?

The secret code of Airliner Modellers - I bet there is a handshake as well...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Quote from: GTX on April 10, 2009, 12:51:19 PM
QuoteTell me, are you A or B, B or E or S or M, A or B, McD or LM, T or A?

The secret code of Airliner Modellers - I bet there is a handshake as well...

Regards,

Greg

A or B, B or E or S or M, A or B, McD or LM, T or A

Let me give you a hint:
1. 7xx or Axxx

2. B = who manufactures the replacement of the Crash-8 for SAS? E = Who is the largest competitor to the previously mentioned B? S = new to the airliner market, in same size as E and Bs largest planes. M = has been in and out of the airliner market, producing strange F-16s in between.

3. A = turboprop that does not crash. B = Crash-8

4. One produces 3 engined airliners, the other produces ugly 3 engined airliners.

5. Hehehe