"Simulated" Wood Grain from real Wood!

Started by sequoiaranger, April 04, 2009, 08:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

It's an old modeler's tip, but it's worth repeating.

At least in America, many "good" cigars ("good cigars" is an oxymoron to me!) come in individual thin metal tubes with a screw-on cap. The tube itself might be usable in a whif (1/32-scale torpedo housing), but the secret ingredient is INSIDE! There is usually a thin, cedar lining rolled up inside the tube that can be easily removed, is flexible, and "grained" just like real wood! By "thin" I mean a millimeter or two. I have been surprised that it didn't crack when rolled out flat (carefully).

Anyway, though I HATE cigars, the lining is useful as "wood" for all kinds of tiny wooden things (probably best for scales 1/48 and larger).

(A "found" cigar tube on the street prompted this post)
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitnut617

That's very interesting, I had bought some 'wood grain' decal sheets sometime ago but they don't look very convincing.  There's a few kits in the stash which will get a wood prop once I get around to them.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

I did some wood paneling in a 1:24 Jaguar a few years ago; I painted a base coat of medium brown and drybrushed some black over it. That turned out way more convincing than I thought it would be.

The Rat

I've often thought about using those too, but as I don't smoke there's not much chance of getting any. Maybe we could get anthonyp to save us a supply?  ;D  And that sounds like a good idea Hobbes, any pics? Of course the grain would be way overscale, but if it were in-scale it probably wouldn't be recognizeable as wood and the effect would be lost. Effect is more important than accuracy anyway, nuts to the JMNs!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

cthulhu77

I have a massive wood grained project coming up, but I am going to just go photograph some lumber sheeting, and make decals from the reduced pics. For graining propellers, just doing the drybrush thing works really well.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: cthulhu77 on April 04, 2009, 10:54:16 AM
I have a massive wood grained project coming up, but I am going to just go photograph some lumber sheeting, and make decals from the reduced pics. For graining propellers, just doing the drybrush thing works really well.

Hey, this was your big chance to convince Her that you needed new stogies!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

frank2056

Quote from: cthulhu77 on April 04, 2009, 10:54:16 AM
I have a massive wood grained project coming up, but I am going to just go photograph some lumber sheeting, and make decals from the reduced pics.

I've scanned in balsa sheets to make wood grain decals. Translucent decals are generally not very useful, but in this case they work great - just paint a different wood base color under the decal, apply it and get all sorts of wood types.

I wonder if cigar shops give away old tubes with the wood inside?

The Rat

Quote from: frank2056 on April 04, 2009, 02:16:15 PMI wonder if cigar shops give away old tubes with the wood inside?

Only until it gets popular and they learn that modelers will pay a crapload for them.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

cthulhu77

I should ask a friend, he owns a smoke shop in Tucson, which isn't too far away.

I plan on taking high res photos of sheets of plywood, and scaling them down, that's what the thing was made of.

Hobbes

Quote from: The Rat on April 04, 2009, 10:15:37 AM
I've often thought about using those too, but as I don't smoke there's not much chance of getting any. Maybe we could get anthonyp to save us a supply?  ;D  And that sounds like a good idea Hobbes, any pics? Of course the grain would be way overscale, but if it were in-scale it probably wouldn't be recognizeable as wood and the effect would be lost. Effect is more important than accuracy anyway, nuts to the JMNs!

I don't have any pics, and the car is now complete, the interior inaccessible. I'll see what I can do, but it might take a while.

jcf

Quote from: cthulhu77 on April 05, 2009, 06:18:19 AM
I should ask a friend, he owns a smoke shop in Tucson, which isn't too far away.

I plan on taking high res photos of sheets of plywood, and scaling them down, that's what the thing was made of.

Ahh, but were the veneers used for the plywood of the 'real' thing 'rotary peeled' or 'sliced'?
The majority of modern construction plywood is of the roller peeled variety thus the large open grain loops
and whorls commonly visible. Sliced veneers are still found in plywood intended for cabinetry or marine
interior work.

Out of curiosity, what is the subject of your project?

Jon

Daryl J.

What would/did you use to affix the wood to styrene?    Someone gave me scads of a blonde birch bark which can't be any more than .005 inch thick and thought it would look great on a Steampunk Sopwith.

TIA,
Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 07, 2009, 05:41:17 PM
What would/did you use to affix the wood to styrene?    Someone gave me scads of a blonde birch bark which can't be any more than .005 inch thick and thought it would look great on a Steampunk Sopwith.

TIA,
Daryl J.

3M Super 77 or similar spray adhesive.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/3m-super-77-multipurpose-adhesive/#photos

Check art supply, hardware and auto paint stores.

Jon