Hawker P.1103 in world speed record attempt, 1960

Started by overscan, April 02, 2009, 10:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overscan

Comments welcome especially on markings etc. This is a CGI render work-in-progress intended ultimately for my P.1121 book. The idea is that P.1103 goes ahead, with a first flight in 1959 that convinces Hawker they can recapture the world speed record.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

PR19_Kit

They'd need to be going a bit, by then it was up around 1500 mph by the Mig 21 prototype, with some funny Ye number I can't remember.

Mind you, with a Gyron in there it should really motor! Love the colour scheme as it is, just like WB188.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

overscan

Mach 2.5+ would be potentially possible with a Gyron, and don't forget the wing-mounted rockets. Mind you, they probably aren't allowed?
"What if?" addict

overscan

Yes, 1959 would be better as Mach 2 would be sufficient, not Mach 2.3-2.5.
"What if?" addict

kitnut617

Nice graphics  :thumbsup:

Speaking of the wing tip pylons, I'd think they would've been removed for the speed attempt.  A question though as I don't know too much about this type, were the mid wing bulges the main fuel tanks ? or are they auxiliary tanks ? I think they would be removed too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

Well done, Overscan! I bet a lot of people would think it was a real photo unless told otherwise.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

overscan

Model is by BAROBA, I only gave the idea. His modelling skills are superb.

The wing bulges are the rocket boosters. They might need to be removed for a record attempt, unless you were going for a rocket powered record.
"What if?" addict

The Rat

I just soiled me drawers looking at that pic.  :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sideshowbob9

That is a beautiful pic! Never been overly enamoured with the P.1103/P.1121 but seeing one "in the flesh" has changed my mind (love the intake).

If you haven't already, could you tell us a bit more about the book? If the graphics are as high quality as this you can colour me interested.

overscan

Well, its still very much in progress but is about the P.1103/1121/1125/1129 family, and the engines and avionics that would have equipped them. It also has materials on the other OR 329 contenders and British rocket/jet fighters in the relevant timeframe. There are photos, and original drawings, plus CGI artwork as well.

Doesn't have a publisher yet.
"What if?" addict

sideshowbob9

Sounds fascinating. Fell in love with the P.1129 when I found it in the National Archives at Kew, a few years before British Secret Projects came out. You can CERTAINLY count me in for a sale.

Wish you luck with getting a publisher.

GTX

Quote from: overscan on April 03, 2009, 05:01:46 AM
Well, its still very much in progress but is about the P.1103/1121/1125/1129 family, and the engines and avionics that would have equipped them. It also has materials on the other OR 329 contenders and British rocket/jet fighters in the relevant timeframe. There are photos, and original drawings, plus CGI artwork as well.

Doesn't have a publisher yet.

Please keep us informed of the book progress - sounds very interesting.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!