ACADEMY

Started by Radish, April 02, 2009, 09:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Not sure if this is old news but Academy kits are apparantly being no longer imported to the UK due to their high cost.
This came from a VERY high source in IPMS(UK).
The same happened to Hasegawa once before, during a previous recession due to the exchange rate.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Aircav

Samething happened to Fujimi too
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

Well, there was a rumour about this on Britmodeller a while ago, but it was never officially confirmed.  Would explain why my Raptor has been on order with the LHS since January and still not turned up...
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

shame if it is actually truem, but it won't affect me as I rarely buy Acasemy kits.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

FECK ME!!  I've just been to HLJ to check out the price of the 1/48 Raptor - a reasonable £39.78.  Shipping?  An eye gouging £27.35!!!!!!

Total price = £67.13   *faints*
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Shasper

Should've went on EB . . . My dad scored a couple of 'em from the Academy store for less than retail for one kit!

Or so he saids . . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

jcf

It can't be based on the exchange rate between the UK and South Korea, as the Pound has gained against the Won over the last two years.

April 2, 2007   1 GBP =  1,854.4 Won
April 2, 2008   1 GBP =  1,931.7 Won
April 2, 2009   1 GBP =  1,953.4 Won

Lucky Model in Hong Kong list a price of ₤26.83 with shipping of ₤19.36 for a total of ₤46.19.

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=AC%2012212

Jon

pyro-manic

It's probably converted through Dollars or Euros first, or something stupid like that, depending on the importer/distributor.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 02, 2009, 10:34:02 AM
It's probably converted through Dollars or Euros first, or something stupid like that, depending on the importer/distributor.

Yeah, everyone in the 'business chain' has to have their pound of flesh of course.

In this case it's OUR flesh too. Of course with prices that high and no-one actually importing the stuff there won't be any sales, and 10% of nothing is nothing. Corporate Greed does NOT Rule OK in this instance......  >:(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 02, 2009, 10:34:02 AM

Thats right the export price will be either US Dollar (probably) or Euro (possibly) based. Very few countries outside of those two zones base export prices on their domestic currency. We certainly didn't in BS/Corus/Tata. Strangely that meant a strong pound was bad (imports cheaper in £ terms) and a weak one better (imports more expensive) in terms of the domestic market - 55% of our business.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Aircav

The rumour is that it seems the head of Academy imports in the UK has jumped ship to Pocketbond..................
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

B777LR

Academy is cheap as dirt in Denmark. Can really not understand why they are no longer imported to the UK :unsure:

Mike Wren

Quote from: Aircav on April 03, 2009, 04:29:03 AM
The rumour is that it seems the head of Academy imports in the UK has jumped ship to Pocketbond..................

Stan Alton who worked for Toyway (Academy importers) has moved to Pocketbond. It may be that Toyway are to concentrate on the various toy ranges that they do, rather than kits?

Geoff

My LHS have not heard anything about this.

Martin H

so we may see a change in uk importer at some point
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.