Main Menu

Master Class

Started by Mossie, April 01, 2009, 01:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I've got an idea for a new type of Group Build for those of us who want to improve our skills.  A Master Class, run by a member who's particularly good at a certain part of the modelling process.  Airbrushing, scratchbuilding, figure painting, etched brass, whatever.  Basically, one or two members would model the subject at hand.  Others would then follow the lead & get input from the 'Master' & other members as to whats going right, whats not going so well etc.

It'd be a chance for the 'Masters' to pass on their skills & for those taking part to learn something & hopefully pick up on the finer points & improving their standards.  Possibly a single Master Class for each block of GB's.  The main thing is that Master would need to be in it for the slog, so maybe a second member could help too as a back up.

Any thoughts?

Simon :cheers:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

puddingwrestler

A nice idea - I think it should certainly be run on a regular basis as there are so many different masters and skill sets to cover. It could easily be run at least twice a year.
I can happily master 'terrain modeling and buildings' with my wargames terrain/scenery experience.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

BlackOps

Sounds cool, but who here will admit to being a master?  I'd like a build along tutorial idea. Very interesting  :cheers:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Mossie

Well, there's plenty of folks we could bully into hosting it, although if asked to admit under torture they'd thrust out their chins shouting NEVER!!!

Repsonse a little quiet so far, anyone else got any ideas???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

I like this idea very much. One I'd like to see is about airbrush techniques. There are some exceptional airbrush users on here Matrixone and Ian HG to name but 2. I know I can surely do with improving my airbrushing skills for onw.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ian the Kiwi Herder

That's very kind of you to offer me-up for sacrifice, Lance, but to quote the great Peter Griffin:-

"No Freakin' Way !"

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

lancer

I wasn't offering you up for sacrifice, I was just acknowledging your superlative airbrushing skills...So there....

Note to Mods - We need a Raspberry blowing smiley!!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

pyro-manic

Sounds like a great idea to me! An interactive tutorial, sort of thing?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  Basically, a member would lead a tutorial on, say, airbrushing.  Everyone else follows, then when you get to a point where you say 'hey, why doesn't mine look like that?' then the lead or other members could chip in & suggest why.

Often when you try new techniques it doesn't always go according to plan, if your following a written tutorial it's sometimes easy to not quite follow, or the author can sometime miss out something mundane because it seems obvious, but might not be to a begginer.  It's also good to have have someone behind you, egging you on when you mess something up.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Hmmm, I came-off far too negative there..... I'm happy to pass-on what little I know, in the same way that my good friend Dork passed his experience on to me - one-to-one. I'll happily chat with anybody through MSN, PM's or eMail, but not in a GB forum.

Reason(s) is/are simple:
1 - Work/Life Balance. I get very little 'me' time because I have (very) small children that require 'Papa's attention (almost) constantly. Whilst they are for the most part absolute angels just now, that certainly won't last for long.

My wife & kids are the most important things in my life and if I have to choose between reading a story (or even cleaning-up when the little'uns have been sick), or giving my opinion on the best way to paint a Luftwaffe style mottle, then 'The Tiger Who Came to Tea' will win every time.

Also
A few of you will know that I'm on a year long course just now with a series of really demanding exams at the end of it. I've taken this course before and failed the exams..... I'm determined not to do so again. Part of the course means time away from home and the aforementioned family, visiting other emergency services, and coming to the station in my own time, simply to work on my 'taskbook'. This year, what little modelling time that I have will be even more curtailed.

2 - When I'm here at work, I can not see any photos posted onto this or any other site, simply because we are blocked from receiving anything from a 'file sharing site' that includes Imageshack, Flickr and Photobucket amongst many others.

3 - I honestly don't believe I'm good enough to do this. This is NOT false modesty on my part, nor am I looking for 'positive affirmation' from you guys..... If you've met me face-to-face you'll know that I don't lack for confidence. I simply believe there are folks here far more talented with an airbrush and/or a hairy stick than I am. The aforementioned, Matrixone, Zeke, JHM, Sisko, Airplane Driver, Leigh, HOG, Dork the Kit Slayer all immediately spring to mind.

I know I can paint, but a lot of my stuff turns out well, not because I'm good or talented, but because I copy modellers like those guys and try, try and try again until it looks 'acceptable' - Sometimes I'm lucky and get it right on the first try, like the Swedish Hawk, the CAF Mirage 2000 or the ANR Me262, more usually my poor photography works in my own favour, and flatters the subject - you should see the T-28 and the little Jet Provost from last year up close..... Ughhhh, talk about ropey finishes  :angry:

Thanks for the offer, guys - LANCE, you know me personally and I hope you know that I meant absolutely no disrespect or insult in my previous comment if I offended you or anybody else reading this, I apologise. - but I'm going to decline. As I said I'm always very happy to chat about any painting issues you have away from the board, and I really hope I can help.....

:cheers:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

lancer

Ian, I never thought for a minute that there was any bad feeling or insult intended and I certainly never took offense, in fact I should have realised that you have a family and a lot of other priorities, I didn't think about those - being single I guess- so there is NO apology needed my friend. with a bit of luck we will finally be able to meet up at Telford this year as nothing is stopping me going this time!!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Bout bl**dy time too, haven't exchanged insults with you since we drove that Mil 24 around Coventry !!

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

puddingwrestler

So.... um.... anything happening with this one? I think it's a good idea and I think we should run it...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Taiidantomcat

I would love to get lessons on how to do a Frankenstein plane  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 02, 2010, 08:04:39 PM
So.... um.... anything happening with this one? I think it's a good idea and I think we should run it...

Well, erm, no.  The only response that came was Ian's.  I would like this to happen, but it's entirely up to people to offer their time.  I can understand people not being able to or not wanting to & on this site we tend to have people who are very modest about their skills.

It would take up extra time for the 'Masters', mostly resonding to comments, but it should be able to be done within the confines of a build.  Post pictures & just take a little bit more time to explain things & answer questions.

Another question is, who do we consider to be the Masters?  I think it might be worth getting a list together of people & then I can PM them & ask if they are interested.  Also, feel free to add your own names if you think you would like to do this.