Chinese Harriers

Started by lancer, February 03, 2004, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

After reading the threads on Chinese Harriers on the Far East topic, I thought I'd post a couple of pics here with my take on what they might look like. If you think the national markings look a little off, well I'll hold my hand up and state that they are thick, way out of register (what ever the hel THAT means) and had to st applied using a cople of drops of PVA glue. The truth is that I couldn't afford to go out and buy an aftermarket set, so I picked some up from the web, copied them into word, sized them to the dimemsions I thought were correct and printed them out on bog standard printer paper and cut them out VERY carefully. Oh, this is one of my Airfix group build entries, of which Tom has the full article.

Anyway, hope you like it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff_B

Quoteand the pale blue markings.

You can get Pale Blue Chinese Naval markings ?

Normal Chinese markings are not that easy to come by, so i see why lance had to improvise.

Nice Harrier Lance, and very topical for todays topics !!!

Geoff B B)  

Scooterman

I might be able to print some out for everybody if I can get a clean pic or scan.  Wait!  I think my Badger kit has one!  Anybody interested?  

Brad

elmayerle

QuoteI might be able to print some out for everybody if I can get a clean pic or scan.  Wait!  I think my Badger kit has one!  Anybody interested?  

Brad
I'd certainly be interested in some, in both 1/72 and 1/48.

Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Looking good, Mr. salter !

Those GR.3 always look funny these days, tho, with that flat canopy.

How'd the Chi-knees get their hands on Harriers ? Reverse engineered ? Possibly from India ?

?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Shasper

I do believe that BAC did market the Harrier to the PRC. And I too would be interested in the pale PLAAF markings

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

elmayerle

QuoteI do believe that BAC did market the Harrier to the PRC. And I too would be interested in the pale PLAAF markings

Ves B)
Indeed, quite intently from what I've read.  Proposals for variants for both the PLAAF and the PLANAF were made, both based on SHAR FRS.1's, the PLAAF version had a laser designator in the nose while the PLANAF had a radar.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Martin H

QuoteIndeed, quite intently from what I've read.  Proposals for variants for both the PLAAF and the PLANAF were made, both based on SHAR FRS.1's, the PLAAF version had a laser designator in the nose while the PLANAF had a radar.
Yep thats what Ive read as well.

Infact there is a Harrier GR-3 in China. She was donated to the PLAAF museam. According to a mate at RAF Whittering, she was compleatly gutted before leaving the UK. They even removed all the wireing. So the Chinese couldnt learn that much (if anything) from it, From what tony tells me, the engine is still at Whittering ...sectioned for use as a training aid.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mairfrog

The joke with the PLAAF Harriers is that the negotiations broke down due to price. Inflation made the price go up, but the communists thought it was a capitalist ploy to scam them!

The punch line is that, after the Falklands, the PLAAF representatives contacted Bae and said 'If we'd known they were THAT good we'd have found a way to pay for them'! :P

At least that's what I read on the internet, so it must be true.

Geoff_B

Not a Harrier but following the Far East theme

John Howling Mouse

Also great...quite the run you've got on productivity, Thor!

Again, what kit/scale is this menacing little beastie?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Yeah, Thors taking over !

Great stuff !

Is that a naval plane ? the bose oleo looks longer...........
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

Actually its the Airfix 1/72 Mig-23 Flogger that could i suppose be counted for the Airfix build caually done over chrimbo. Not it not a carrier version just a chinese clone of a captured russian one using clones of western Air to Air Missiles.

Cheers

Thor  B)