P 40E-Jet “Blitz Buster”

Started by Vulcan7, March 29, 2009, 05:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan7

P 40E-Jet "Blitz Buster" (Airfix 1/72 Kittyhawk conversion)  ;D

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

John Howling Mouse

What a menacing beastie of the air.  Love the ginormous cannon and your hand-painted rendition of the shark's mouth is just right.  Excellent!   :wub:  :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Cobra

Awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Why do i get the Feeling i was Going to Hear,"Calling Sky Captain"??? this looks like something out Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow or the 'Black Hawk' comics!!!!! Great Job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Vulcan7

thanks chaps  :thumbsup:, the P40E's one of my favourites (and SC&TWOT film  :thumbsup:)  just thought I'd beef it up a bit & take out the Ar234 "Blitz" at the same time  ;D :cheers:

cthulhu77

Wonderful !   Hey, the pilot can air brake just by firing !   :wub: :wub: :cheers:

ChernayaAkula

Very cool! :thumbsup:  Would love to see the muzzle flashes with all guns firing! :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Ed S

Fast and Furious.  That is some serious firepower on that.

Great concept and it does look right with the sharks mouth.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

BlackOps

V7, this is awesome! I'm really diggin' this one, I had one on the bench for a long time but finally gave up on it...in fact I just cut the tail off it and stuck it on a spitfire. I was thinking about redoing it as a fresh build in 1/48 instead of 1/72. After seeing yours I'm not so sure I could do it justice. Kickass build!  :wub:

Here is my almost was...
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

jorel62

sequoiaranger

Luckily, you built it with wheels up. I suspect that the "belly" would drag like a basset hound's with the normal short P-40 landing gear! A super-tall tail wheel (with an asbestos spat to ward off the heat) might do the trick!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

BlackOps

Quote from: sequoiaranger on March 30, 2009, 09:54:35 AM
Luckily, you built it with wheels up. I suspect that the "belly" would drag like a basset hound's with the normal short P-40 landing gear! A super-tall tail wheel (with an asbestos spat to ward off the heat) might do the trick!

That's why I aborted mine, I couldn't work it out to where it wasn't awkward looking.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sequoiaranger

>That's why I aborted mine, I couldn't work it out to where it wasn't awkward looking.<

With the jet, it almost looks like it should be a nose-wheel plane anyway. Maybe since the spinner area wasn't used for guns, there could be a nosewheel and strut held horizontally in there (wheel toward the front), and the strut/wheel extends out and down like a roller-garage door.

Also, most jet engines weren't as long as that. If you factor in the P-40's original radiator as the beginning of the jet (instead of an extension), then the jet would end near the wing trailing edge, not beyond.

As for the belly protrusion, your jet just needs to be tucked into the fuselage a bit more (like this, or even more). Don't give up. Check out the Yak-15 through 19 series for inspiration.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Vulcan7

Quote from: BlackOps on March 30, 2009, 07:56:46 AM
V7, this is awesome! I'm really diggin' this one, I had one on the bench for a long time but finally gave up on it...in fact I just cut the tail off it and stuck it on a spitfire. I was thinking about redoing it as a fresh build in 1/48 instead of 1/72. After seeing yours I'm not so sure I could do it justice. Kickass build!  :wub:

Here is my almost was...

many thanks  :thumbsup:

that looks a very cool start BlackOps  :ph34r:  ....I recon the Jet P40 could have the new telescopic landing gear for extra clearance  ;D :thumbsup: :cheers:

thats a nice looking jet too, I used the large bomb that came with my Airfix Lancaster for mine  ;D :thumbsup:

puddingwrestler

Always thought the P40 would make sense in jet form, what with the great big chin intake and all. Nice job.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.