X-15C

Started by MartG, March 28, 2009, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

Following the record breaking flight of the X-15A2, despite the application of an ablative coating ( called MA-25S ) there was considearble heat damage to the airframe. Rather than relegate the remains to a museum, the USAF decided to rebuild it with a new delta wing.  The aim of this was to compare the performance of the existing airframe & ablative combination to that of a new build X-15C using construction/heatshield methods originally developed for the cancelled X-20 Dyna Soar project. Following initial test flights, there was sufficient confidence in the coating to permit an orbital flight to be considered, using strap-on solid boosters to attain the required speed after a Mach 3 airlaunch from a B-70 Valkyrie.

( AMT Valkyrie, Monogram X-15 with scratchbuilt wings, boosters from a 1/288 shuttle )

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

John Howling Mouse

Very cool and innovative.  Sure there most be a good reason: why is only the one port visible, though?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

Ok, now I see it - stunning!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

MartG

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 28, 2009, 01:41:07 PM
Sure there most be a good reason: why is only the one port visible, though?

"The ablative paint also led to another distinctive feature of this version of the X-15A-2, which was the "eyelid" over the left window of the canopy. The ablative paint on the nose during high speed flight would erode and splatter on the canopy windows. During a flight the eyelid would cover the left window and the pilot would use only the right window and instruments for the first part of the mission. Towards the end of the mission that right window would be so covered with ablator residue that visibility was severely limited. The pilot would then raise the eyelid and the left window would be clear for the final part of the mission and landing."

See here for more info http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/03/stuff_eng_x15.htm
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Rafael

Wonderful, Mart. :bow: :bow: :bow:
I like both platforms, and your descriptions and justifications are very plausible.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sideshowbob9

Eeeeep! They're absolute stunners!  :thumbsup:

anthonyp

This is another one of those "STOP STEALING MY IDEAS!!!" things...

I just picked up a 1/130 Heller X-15 that was going to get this same treatment.

Yours looks great, Mart!  Very imaginative use of dinky shuttle boosters too  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

The Rat

Quote from: anthonyp on March 29, 2009, 08:57:54 AM
This is another one of those "STOP STEALING MY IDEAS!!!" things...

I just picked up a 1/130 Heller X-15 that was going to get this same treatment.

Ditto, this is almost frightening. :blink: But that's a damned fine job, if it wasn't in the cards for me to do it then it's nice to see it done better than I could!  :cheers: :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Cobra

Super Cool :mellow: why do i get the Feeling this is like something out of 'Thunderbirds'?????? Great Job!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

Holy mother-of-pearl !!!!  That is wonderful !!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Love those little Academy/Minicraft 1/288th scale space shuttle kits.  Great source for the little solid rocket boosters as well as some fodder for scale-o-rama projects. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.