M 29 heavy tank

Started by Martin H, March 22, 2009, 01:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Its been a while since I lasted post a finished build here.

Here we have an M 29 heavy tank of the 12th U.S. armoured division some ware in northern Europe circa 1945.

And here it is again along side its intended prey.........

What we have here is a Cromwell models "combat ready" resin model of the T 29 experimental heavy tank.
The Hull, running gear and tracks are a single casting...and i have no idea how the hell they do it.

As you can see in the 2nd shot, its larger than the King Tiger. It was intended to take on the big cat as the US army didn't think the Pershing was up to that job. So they took the basic M 26 and then scaled it up to this monster and its 105mm gun. Apparently the war in Europe was over before the T 29 was ready for production, and the Army wasn't to keen on using something so big against the Japanese for some reason. So it remained nothing more than a prototype.

All I need now is a suitable name in keeping with the American tradition of naming tanks after Generals
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lenny100

its got to be Custer
the last stand of the super tank
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

cthulhu77

Vulcan7

wow Top tank, that King Tiger has had it!  :thumbsup: :tank: :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

NARSES2

""What we have here is a Cromwell models "combat ready" resin model of the T 29 experimental heavy tank.
The Hull, running gear and tracks are a single casting...and i have no idea how the hell they do it""

Well that's 2 of us who don't understand how they do it Martin, nice piece of work, and Custer works for me as well.

Now did the US Army name it's tanks after Generals before or after the Brits started using Stuart, Grant, Lee etc ? I seem to recall all early US tanks just had a difficult to phathom numbering system ?

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ChernayaAkula

Wow! :o That's one big beast!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

lancer

Very nice indeed Martin.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sotoolslinger

Ultra cool  :mellow: What a monster :wub: :tank:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Martin H

Well it is Big and rather brash, So calling it the Custer does kind of fit the Bill. And with early cold war service on the cards my dad has coined the knick name "The Commi knocker" for it LOL
Unfortunately,

Captain Canada

Nice work, Martin ! Add another one to the 'tanks I've now seen' pile !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Brian da Basher

Well done, OGL! I really like your paintwork on the Tiger and the shade of OD you used on the "Custer". What paints did you use>
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. If you want to name if after a "big and heavy" U.S. general, you could call it the Shafter or the Winfield Scott.

Martin H

Cant remember what paints I used on the big cat (most likly from Humbrol thou), but it was tamiya Olive green on the M-29, the tracks are Humbrol 53 (Gun metel).
The marking are off the old Matchbox M-24 Chaffee.
Unfortunately,

Mossie

Great model Martin, quite a beast!  Don't know too much about 'targets' so it's good to see something I knew nothing about.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sisko

Very Very nice mate!

I love some of the big super heavy allied tanks.

It would be nice to have some 1/35th scale kits of them.......that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!