Lang-Austin SP-7D "Caroma" featured in new aviation magazine!

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 21, 2009, 09:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Hey, this is cool.  There's a brand new aviation magazine* out there called "Aero" and they've got an article on Lang-Austin's "Caroma" trainer airplane.  And I just happened to build a model of that very same aircraft type last month.  So I scanned a page from the magazine to show you all the airplane.  I don't know how well it will turn out here but I'll add pics of my build for the model later, too.

* In What If world, that is!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

Pretty cool magazine! Are they selling subscriptions? ;)  :thumbsup: ;D :bow:
Look behind you!

BrittMac

That Toolslinger Engine really seems to have woken up that airframe.

Very nice!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sotoolslinger

One of our many international upgrade contracts ;D
Sweet plane Mr. Rodent :wub: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

So, this little model started out as a PM Models (Turkey) SIAT 223 Flamingo in 1:48.

It's one of those extremely rudimentary kits that makes you scratch your head and wonder: is it worth the six bucks?  But a test mock-up of the parts showed very good fit, even if the plastic was the kind you find in toys.  I put various 1:72 tip-tanks on to see which ones I liked best.  The winner was a pair from a Hasegawa T-33.

Speaking of rudimentary, this is the one-piece all-molded-in cockpit:

The tip-tanks from the T-33:

John Howling Mouse

This is pretty much all you get with the kit (less landing gear).  I figured the blandness came from the lack of panel lines:

So, I cut a few panel lines here and there and engraved some access panels, none of which are accurate, naturally.

I put in a little leading edge landing light into a notch I made in the wing:

John Howling Mouse

Now, with my heavy-handed trench-cutting, I felt like I was working on an old Matchbox kit (the warm and fuzzy memories of after-school modeling!) and figured the interior would be the highlight of this little gem in the rough.

Shotgun bb's for noseweight and roughed in fwd bulkhead halves:

I cut and engraved a chunk of 30 thou styrene for a new floor:

Made an aft bulkhead.  This is quite cartoonish compared to the likes of FAR148's work but it gets some visual interest through that very thick canopy:

Scratch-bashed some seats.  Yeah, the AEROTM magazine article I posted says they're supposed to be Lang Austin E7-J ejection seats but I didn't have that magazine as a reference at the time I built the model!   :rolleyes:

John Howling Mouse

John Howling Mouse

So, it was time to scratchbuild the interior walls (I have NO idea what I was doing here, I just cut and glued stuff all over the place).

John Howling Mouse

For better or worse, once all said and done, here's what the home-made cockpit interior looked like (keep in mind it was a six dollar kit):

Here's what the cockpit looks like in situ with the main airframe assembled:

Beats the heck outta THIS:

John Howling Mouse

Not too much putty was needed (pics just make it look bad):

I taped the area adjacent to the putty lines to save the details I had engraved:

All masked up and ready for primer:

And it begins----Krylon sandable grey primer out of the spraycan:

John Howling Mouse

First coat of airbrushed Acryl Camo Grey paint (big deal):

Then the relaxing part: first layer of hand-brushed Acryl (custom mix, can't remember what I used):

A second level of deeper Acryl grey was then hand-brushed  (again, no idea what was the mixture I made).

John Howling Mouse

Glossed up with several coats of hand-brushed Future and ready for a combination of home-made and after-market decals:

John Howling Mouse

Some canopy/cockpit close-ups on the finished model:

And on my new diorama base used in conjunction with my latest jungle backdrop.  Not bad for pics that were taken in the snow-covered steppes of Alberta in March!

The diorama actually looks a lot better in person than these pics.  The intense white of the snow-covered area here tends to blot out most of the variances between the many blends of foliage, rocks, ballast, etc.

This is one of the images AEROTM magazine used in their "article"

And, thanks to a little software manipulation, here's something that might be new to What If: Sunset and MOONLIT photos!  Feel the humidity of the jungle night air and listen to the cicadas chirping: