Spectrum is...... expensive...

Started by Weaver, March 21, 2009, 05:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Can't remember how many of these I bought, built (badly) and trashed back in the day:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260376945882

About time Airfix re-popped this one, maybe?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Crikey!! :o
I remember those things in my local newsagents when I was a kid, never bought any though,
That winning bid is proper taking the mickey don't you think??
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

Wow. :blink: I wonder if the winner actually going to build it, or is a "collector"...

And if Airfix still have the moulds, it'd be worth doing a small run to see how they sell.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

JayBee

Oh deary me yes!
I remember doing a very early, what would now be called a WHIF, of one of these.
Tailplane and wing tips straightened out, a real undercarriage, and something done to the nose area.
Grey/Green over light aircraft grey, and..............................

Free Scottish Air Force roundels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it was called the "Dirk" (a Scottish dagger).

No idea what happened to the model, it was that long ago
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Mossie

Quote from: chrisonord on March 21, 2009, 06:25:01 AM
Crikey!! :o
I remember those things in my local newsagents when I was a kid, never bought any though,
That winning bid is proper taking the mickey don't you think??

Fraid not, combined with the popularity of the show & that most kits would have been built then trashed by little brother or just not survived multiple house moves, these old kits have become hightly collectable.  Especially one that's pretty much in it's original condition.  It's probably one of the most desirable Airfix kits, if you find one in the loft, chuck it on ebay quick!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Fifty nine pounds? FIFTY NINE POUNDS? For an Angel Interceptor??

Strewth, what is the world coming to? I've just been beaten on an eBay auction for a Revell (ex-Frog) Shackleton MR3 that went for over Forty One pounds too! The darn thing's only been off the lists for about a year, it's getting crazy!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

makes even more sense to re-issue them when you consider the new Captain Scarlett CGI TV series exists - even if the machines all look a fair bit different, the name is back in the public(ish) eye.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

lancer

Totally agree that airfix should re-relaese this little gem. I'd buy a fair few if them this time round!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Spellbinder99

I have that exact same boxing in my stash plus another later one almost completed. Lot of work to get them built but they look the part in the end.

Cheers

Tony

HOG

One of the later reboxings had one of my builds on the lid. Oh Happy Days ;D
G

Edit
From my portfolio

I think the other ship is also somthing Gerry A. Remember all the decals for that from Letraset. The Spectrum markings were made up DPT and if you look at the boxtop you can just see where the black Letraset panel infront of the canopy lifted under the studio lighting. And to think I used to get paid for doing this  ;D
Cheerz  :drink:
G
pps have just noticed pilot has googles!
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )