Snark Yak-25Z

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 15, 2009, 11:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

For a long time, I've wanted to build a Yak-25 "Flashlight" in 1:48 but I don't think they're are any kits of it (maybe Collect-Aire's resin kit if I ever win the lottery).  Something about that bulbous nose and the overall "we don't care what it looks like" airframe.  Looks like it would be next to impossible to land with that honkin' nose in front of the cockpit.  Love the overly long engine nacelles and wings that look like they were borrowed from something else entirely. 

Problem was, I didn't know what to use as a base kit for the modifications.  I don't need or want it to be an accurate Yak-25, just something along those basic lines.  New, yet similar.
This a.m., it suddenly hit me.  I had Yefim Gordon's fantastic Yak-25 book on the night table and the 1:48 Lindberg Snark missile kit on a nearby dresser.  Now that J.Lloyd International has kindly resurrected the good ol' Lindberg line, Snark kits are back and cheap.  The light went on and I'll be cuttin' and bashin' before good sense gets the chance to come into play.  I've got an idea for how to modify the sharper Snark nose into the more bulbous shape of the older Yak-25.

(See other "SNARK Fighter-Bomber" thread for what I'm going to do to another Snark kit)

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Daryl J.

The Snark is a great base from whence to build isn't it.   

We look forward to these!

Daryl J.

kitnut617

This is going to be very interesting  :thumbsup:  I'll be watching this one to see how it comes together Barry.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Captain Canada

And way better than the CLETUS supplied in the Dukes of Hazard !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

cthulhu77

I've got a fever, and the only cure is MORE COWBELL !

John Howling Mouse

Easy guys, I put my pants on, just like the rest of you: one leg at a time.
Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

:ph34r:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Taiidantomcat

HA  ;D bunch of characters. Smart thinking! I think i will "borrow" (I.E. steal) that idea  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

noxioux

I don't know about that big-nosed thingamabob, but the Firebar is darn sexy.  I'm wondering if you've already seen Phil "Bondo" Brandt's firebar scratchbuild?  http://hsfeatures.com/features04/yak28ppb_1.htm

Brian da Basher

Pretty "snarky" post, Mr Howling Mouse. I can't wait to see how this comes together.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher