NAA F-111B TFX

Started by Orne M, March 15, 2009, 01:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orne M

This got started after reading about the TFX designs over on Alternate History, and subsequent postings on Secret Projects of NACA drawings for a VG TFX design that was based on the NAA A-5A.  Thought about doing this in 1/48 scale, but stopped myself from cutting up an expensive Trumpeter kit for the lower fuselage.  So, the project was scaled down to 1/72, using an Ace Vigilante, Monogram EF-111A, and the upper cockpit from a Matchbox F-101H.  The 111 upper engine bay was split in the middle and angled outward to match the Vigi engine-box; much dicing of plastic later, fitted the 111 wings (and they still operate, a bonus after this much surgery) inside the mated upper and lower fuselages.  As was pointed out, the Vigi intakes were too small for TF-30s, so I scratchbuilt new intake-boxes, and faired everything down from the kit-halves forward.  Haven't sorted out the tailfins yet, but basing the design on the original Vigi mockup twin-fins; using the Vigi stabs.  The Vigi windscreen already cut down to fit a modified F-14 canopy.

At this point, have already painted the wings, next fitting out the cockpit.....

Shasper

Wow . . . I mean, Wow *jaw hits floor*

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Eddie M.

Quote from: Shasper on March 15, 2009, 05:10:54 AM
Wow . . . I mean, Wow *jaw hits floor*

Shas 8)

Double deuce!! Go looking work!
Look behind you!

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

sideshowbob9

Definately watching this one! Looks great so far!

sotoolslinger

That is a great looking bash :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

MartG

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Daryl J.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

noxioux

Sleek.  Looking very good so far. :thumbsup: