YBQ-1R

Started by noxioux, March 11, 2009, 08:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

I usually don't do the teaser thing, so bear with me folks.  Pics will follow tomorrow evening after the weekly build session.

Okay, so the designation sucks, but what this will be is an unmanned version of the B-1B/B-1R, Y tailed, and possibly including thrust vectoring.  I've really wanted to do a B-1B with pre-SALT (START?) external stores, but never got there, so this one will likely have some type of external goodies.

I'm using the Dragon B-1B test program bird in 1/144 scale.  It's a nice little model, that I was going to build OOB.  But, since I put the canopy down somewhere, and lost it, she's getting whiffed.  I have a fairly good idea of what I'll do with this, but suggestions are always welcome.

I really think the cat ate the canopy, although I can't imagine that being a pleasant experience.  I tore my room apart several times looking for the thing.  And no, it ain't worth hunting through the litterbox for. . .

Stay tuned for pics tomorrow!

noxioux

Humble beginnings:

The tail has been reprofiled, and the nose will have some reprofiling as well, so it's not just a lazy way to make up for a missing windshield. . .

:cheers:

GTX

Reminds me of a Dale Brown creation.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

noxioux

Yeah, I never read any Dale Brown, but a friend of mine says he has a thing for Y-tailed B-1's.  Even though that's not where the idea came from, I'll have to get used to hearing it. . . :angry:

PR19_Kit

I'd have thought Mr. Brown's writings would have been required reading for Whiffers! :)

I'm not sure if his B-1s had V tails, but his EB-52 Megafortresses certainly did. I'm sure I saw one on the SIG stand at Telford a year or so ago, anyone remember that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I'd like to have seen that.  I've always fancied building my own interpretation of the XF-34 Dreamstar from Day of the Cheetah.  Nox, my impression was that the EB-1C Vampire had no vertical tail, rather than a V-tail, so tell your freind to stick the idea that you pinched it up his tailpipe! :wacko:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sideshowbob9

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Talos

Quote from: Mossie on March 13, 2009, 06:15:26 PM
I'd like to have seen that.  I've always fancied building my own interpretation of the XF-34 Dreamstar from Day of the Cheetah.  Nox, my impression was that the EB-1C Vampire had no vertical tail, rather than a V-tail, so tell your freind to stick the idea that you pinched it up his tailpipe! :wacko:

If I recall correctly, his EB-1C Vampire had a smaller vertical tail and I think it lacked a horizontal tail too. The wings and fuselage were changed into a "mission adaptable" surface, with little hydraulic and electric motors changing their shape for perfect aerodynamics.

Mossie

Mission adapative skins were another thing of Dales Browns, I remember the XF-34 Dreamstar also had this.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Talos

So did most of his UCAVs (including the ones carried on EB-52 Megafortress pylons and in the bays of the EB-1C).

Captain Canada

Looking good !

I like the bit about the laziness....my kinf of modeller !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cobra

Very Cool!!!!! :mellow: Looks like Something You'd see in a Dale Brown Novel!!!!!!! have You Decided on a Paint Scheme Yet???? Keep up the Great work!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

lenny100

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2009, 05:17:23 PM
I'd have thought Mr. Brown's writings would have been required reading for Whiffers! :)

I'm not sure if his B-1s had V tails, but his EB-52 Megafortresses certainly did. I'm sure I saw one on the SIG stand at Telford a year or so ago, anyone remember that?

yer it was mine
I will put up a few shots of it when i get home on friday

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!