MOD unveils future UK defence tech research plan

Started by Hman, March 09, 2009, 02:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

It really does make you wonder just what the MoD sniff's at times, I mean they are going to be really useful in Afghanistan and the other small wars the goverment gets us into. :banghead:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Green Dragon

So let me see if I've got this right...All MOD vehicles and aircraft will in future be made by Tamiya's Radio Control Models Division?? :unsure:

They have got to be smoking something really strong to think this is a good idea.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Nick

Could be an interesting if expensive way to map and clear minefields with minimum risk to human life. Just drive a lightweight solar powered radio control car with detection gear on and record where it thinks landmines are.

I don't see the problem with helping helicopters land easier in storms or improving helmet armour or lightening the load of an infantryman. Being able to provide every vehicle and checkpoint with chemical weapon detectors may well prove useful in the future, maybe use this at border checkpoints to prevent smugglers. This could be upgraded to detect illegal drugs or explosives on people or in vehicles too.

Never mind the fancy graphics, these are just to grab your attention and look pretty in the papers.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

And in the other news, the UK is set on reexpanding the empire by taking Mars, the moons of Jupiter and Pluto :thumbsup:

ChernayaAkula

Seems some designer got carried away with his favourite PC/Xbox/Playsation game...  :rolleyes:

Quote from: B787 on March 10, 2009, 05:24:53 AM
And in the other news, the UK is set on reexpanding the empire by taking Mars, the moons of Jupiter and Pluto :thumbsup:

Nice one!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

TsrJoe

... and i thought some of the blue sky stuff my students thought up looked like low budget badly thought out scifi  :blink:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

anthonyp

Quote from: B787 on March 10, 2009, 05:24:53 AM

BUAHAHA!!  (snort)  HAHAHA!!!  Now that's funny right there, I don't care who y'are!   :lol:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

GTX

Actually, the concept behind all this isn't that silly - in the process of investing in such research, many innovative, useful products/technologies come along.  I don't have a problem with this sort of program and neither should the British tax payer.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Aircav

We should when the goverment is to tight to pay for more helicopters and proper APC's in Afghanistan, I wouldn't leave the MoD in charge of the lunch money let alone anything else.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

fallenphoenix

My girlfriend's father works for the MOD, in his words: "they couldnt organise a p!ss up in a brewery"  :drink:

Had a thought there, there was a guy that laid a claim to teritory on the moon on the grounds that noone else had... he now sells it off to those wanting to own a patch of lunar real estate... following his example whats to stop us from expanding to Mars, Jupiter and Pluto?  ;D

http://www.moonestates.com/shop-moonestates.php

Craig
Per Ardua Ad Astra

"Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

B777LR

Quote from: fallenphoenix on March 13, 2009, 12:50:58 PM
Had a thought there, there was a guy that laid a claim to teritory on the moon on the grounds that noone else had... he now sells it off to those wanting to own a patch of lunar real estate... following his example whats to stop us from expanding to Mars, Jupiter and Pluto?  ;D

Craig

Yeah yeah, jus' some mad american who will try to sue China when they set up their first lunar base in, oh, 5 years... (anybody who invests in moon is begging for economic crisis, due to wasted money)

chrisonord

Quote from: B787 on March 13, 2009, 01:58:24 PM
Quote from: fallenphoenix on March 13, 2009, 12:50:58 PM

Craig

Yeah yeah, jus' some mad american who will try to sue China when they set up their first lunar base in, oh, 5 years... (anybody who invests in moon is begging for economic crisis, due to wasted money)
I can't agree with you more B787.....Not everyone likes cheese do they :huh: :rolleyes:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!