Ilyushin Il-86 & Il-96

Started by Mossie, March 09, 2009, 08:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

These two have got to be very whiffable, Soviet airliners that have seen little/no military service.

On Wikipedia I spotted an interesting passage on the Il-86 page.  There has been talk on several occasions to fit the Il-86 with Western engines, the GE CF6-50 in the 70's, the RR RB211-22 in the 80's & the IAE V2500 in the 90's.  Maybe ideas for profiles for SC or Jeremy?  There's more interesting stuff in that passage too, I'll post elsewhere about that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-86#Interest_in_foreign_technology

Mentioned on secret projects is the Il-87, an airborne control system version of the Il-86, also pics of trials with the Il-86 for in flight refueling & as a paratroop transport.  There's a three view of the Il-96-550 as well, a double decker version.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4933.0.html

Some good ideas for those Revell & Eastern Express kits!

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

For the double decker, i would suggest using A380 engines, and the top deck made from an A321 fuselage :thumbsup:

Other possibilities:

Westernized version = A340 parts such as engines and winglets coupled to the Il-86

Mossie

Sounds good, when are you going to do it??? ;D

I wondered about an AWACS version with radome.  Maybe an EMERCOM water bomber, if the 747 can do it, why not?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

Quote from: Mossie on March 09, 2009, 09:33:33 AM
Sounds good, when are you going to do it??? ;D

When i purchase my second Il-86 and A340, and have built at least one of each as RW :thumbsup:

Waterbomber sounds good, apart from the fact that the Il-86 was seriously underpowered. You would need the Il-96 for that. It would be very useful in Russia. Large forrests located far from anywhere...

AWACS = use the Il-96 too. The Il-86 has a horrible range/endurance of only 3600 km, possible to be pushed to 4600 km.

Mossie

The Western engines from the Wiki link might go some way to improving the range & power problems with the Il-86.  The more I think about a water bomber, the more I like the idea.  Emercom orange & blue stripes on a slightly grubby white & grey fuselage would look good.

GTX

I like the idea of AWACS style - but an advanced one with conformal or Wedgetail style AESA radar.

Another idea would be a propfan (using some Progress D-27 from the An-70 - see below):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mike Wren

I've got an AWACS planned using the radome from the Trumpeter 1/144 Il-76, NATO reporting name 'Marsh'

Shasper

If its jet powered, doesnt the NATO codename need to b a 2-syllable word?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Mike Wren

Quote from: Shasper on March 17, 2009, 07:20:08 AM
If its jet powered, doesnt the NATO codename need to b a 2-syllable word?

Shas 8)

good point! I'd forgotten about that... back to the drawing board  :banghead:

Mossie

ysi_maniac

Àpropos Il-86

1. RW Il-86

2. Do you know that in the beginig of project, Il-86 was to have Il-62 config (with 4 engines in the rear fuselage)?

3. What if a turboprop powered widebody?

4. Superpowered Il-86

Will die without understanding this world.