silent but could be made deadly

Started by chrisonord, March 09, 2009, 05:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Here is a link to a plane that supposedly will be near silent and give off the same emissions as a Toyota Prius.
I think it would make a good bomber also!! :wacko:
http://environment.uk.msn.com/interactive/silent-plane.aspx.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

That looks remarkably like a Boeing proposal of a few years ago. I'm sure someone on here has the facilities to find a piccie of it from back then........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

B777LR

Won't become anything more than a freighter, i can assure you. And possibly a bomber. It won't ever carry any paying passengers, due to the simple fact that you cannot get the pax seated in the center of the plane out fast enough in an emergency.

chrisonord

I am sure it could be festered with rotary launchers, carrying cruise missiles, It would make a good tanker also I should think.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

jcf

Quote from: chrisonord on March 09, 2009, 09:00:27 AM
I am sure it could be festered with rotary launchers, carrying cruise missiles, It would make a good tanker also I should think.
Chris.
Ayep.

:thumbsup:

Green Dragon

Would be great for the military roles but I've got to agree with 787 about the emergency evacuation problem. Only way I can think of clearing the central area of passengers would be underfloor chutes but that would mean a lot of wasted volume inside the aircraft.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

The Rat

Quote from: Green Dragon on March 09, 2009, 05:00:31 PMOnly way I can think of clearing the central area of passengers would be underfloor chutes ...

And if it bellies in those chutes are useless.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Mossie

I remember hearing this before, but I always thought that there must be an engineering soloution for getting people out quickly enough.  It might take a fairly radical approach, but then it's a radical design.

Now I'd fit everyone with ejection seats, just to see how the Bucket & Spade flight to Benidorm would cope with it! :wacko:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

Why not just put the cargo/luggage compartments in the middle, instead of passengers?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

JayBee

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 10, 2009, 08:47:08 AM
Why not just put the cargo/luggage compartments in the middle, instead of passengers?
Stop that at once Alun, you are starting to think in a logical manner. Any more of that and you will be thrown out of the great WHIFFING world.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

B777LR

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 10, 2009, 08:47:08 AM

But how to get the oversized cargo out then? The side will be blocked, and lifting equipment built into the plane is too heavy, and finally the FAA doesn't allow cargo on the passenger deck, since a South African 747 combi crashed due to a fire in the cargo.

pyro-manic

That's for the engineers to decide. ;) Seriously though, nose door? It's not an insurmountable problem by any means.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

An aircraft of this type is going to take a whole load of lateral thinking & redesign, not to mention redesign of aiports.  That may be it's downfall of course but doesn't mean it can't be built.  Doesn't mean it'd be practical, but who cares, I want to see one fly!!!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

Quote from: Mossie on March 11, 2009, 12:59:04 PM
An aircraft of this type is going to take a whole load of lateral thinking & redesign, not to mention redesign of aiports.  That may be it's downfall of course but doesn't mean it can't be built.  Doesn't mean it'd be practical, but who cares, I want to see one fly!!!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_4ultI6nWY&feature=related