Evan's Fw 119 twin-boomer

Started by Tophe, January 30, 2004, 11:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

As discussed on
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...?showtopic=2309
here is the Golding/Heinkel/Focke-Wulf/Mayerle/Meunier Fw 119... with a glazed pusher-propeller and separate tails like a Fw 261... Thanks Evan :)
On my site http://cmeunier.chez.tiscali.fr/index.htm , this name is truncated as Heinkel/Mayerle Fw 119, sorry for the other ones :( .

Tomorrow, I will work on another nice idea of my friend (and Libellula's friend :) ) Paul : what-if 119 hadn't been a mistyping for 189 (1 instead of 8) but for 191 (1-9 instead of 9-1)  :wacko: ? This will provide our What-if universe with a twin-boom Focke-Wulf/Paul-D. Fw 119B or 191D...  :)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quoteanother nice idea of my friend Paul : what-if 119 had been a mistyping for 191 (1-9 instead of 9-1)  :wacko: ? This will provide our What-if universe with a twin-boom Focke-Wulf/Paul D. Fw 119B or 191D...  :)
Here is the nice bird... Thanks Paul, thanks Evan :)

John Howling Mouse

oooooh, you could also do a gigantic version of that easily with a couple of B-29 kits.

Tophe, now you have ME thinking about twin-boomers, too!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ollie

Barry, you silly Westerner!  Why do a giant version when you can "Scale-o-Rame" it to say, 1/48, using 1/72 B-29s?

Bet you never thought of that, eh?

Ollie, the silly Easterner. :D  

nev

Very nice!   :wub:

So whos gunna build 'em then?

:tornado:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Tophe

Here is the B-29 JHm Super-Mouse... :wub:
Thanks for this one :)
With 2 B-29 models it is also possible to build Ted Nomura's Twin-Fortress :blink:
Thanks to all the dreamers :D  

John Howling Mouse

Man, Tophe, you are one very, very baaaaaaaaaad man.

Was in the hobby store just yesterday and saw a re-released Monogram B-29 (big 1:48 scale)...

....and they had a second kit there, too!!!

The thing would be freakin' MASSIVE, though!   Maybe I can scrounge up a pair of
Academy kits in 1:72?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

QuoteWhy do a giant version when you can "Scale-o-Rame" it to say, 1/48, using 1/72 B-29s?
Ollie
Yes, oh yes, mixing 1/48th and 1/72nd B-29s into a twin-boomer would be so wonderful... :wub:
Thank you so much, dear Ollie :)  

elmayerle

QuoteWhy do a giant version when you can "Scale-o-Rame" it to say, 1/48, using 1/72 B-29s?
Ollie
Yes, oh yes, mixing 1/48th and 1/72nd B-29s into a twin-boomer would be so wonderful... :wub:
Thank you so much, dear Ollie :)
Now that design would need some serious power.  Perhaps the liquid-cooled R-7755 would do for the powerplants.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

QuoteNow that design would need some serious power.  Perhaps the liquid-cooled R-7755 would do for the powerplants.
5,000hp per engine ? double R-2800 ? (but 2800*2=5600 not 7755, as V-1710*2=3420)... I have not all understood, could you tell us the story, Evan ? The origin, the intended use... :)
Thanks.

PS. Instead of a few huge engines, it is always possible to have many normal ones, remember the Dornier Do X (and the Breguet 1000t project with 120 engines... :blink: ). Experience about that ?

Captain Canada

Oooh.........I like that B-29Jhm Super Mouse ! Now that would be a cool model.....and sod it, Bear, you're Canadian, you could build it in 32nd scale and still have space !

Just hang it in the garage !

And wow, Ev.....thanks for that link. Had no idea such a monster existed ! The big turbo-compound of the Argus was always my favourite 'heavy' engine....but that thing !?!

Mmmm :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

QuoteNow that design would need some serious power.  Perhaps the liquid-cooled R-7755 would do for the powerplants.
5,000hp per engine ? double R-2800 ? (but 2800*2=5600 not 7755, as V-1710*2=3420)... I have not all understood, could you tell us the story, Evan ? The origin, the intended use... :)
Thanks.

PS. Instead of a few huge engines, it is always possible to have many normal ones, remember the Dornier Do X (and the Breguet 1000t project with 120 engines... :blink: ). Experience about that ?
Consider the engine as a slightly enlarged version of a doubled R-3350 with liquid cooling to simplify matters.  I'm not certain of it's origin, but it's intended use was to replace the R-4360's in the B-36.  This article by Walter J. Boyne helps explain a few things.  Further digging on Google for "XR-7755" brings up a number of interesting sites.

Oh, the doubled V-1710 did happen as the W-3420 in the XP-75/XP-75A and the XB-39.  I rather suspect that if the R-3350 had suffered much more in the way of development problems, the USAAF would've replaced the B-29 with the B-39.  As far as I know, the W-3420 was the only coupled engine to be successfully developed and flight tested.

As to using a large number of smaller engines or a small number of large engines, I would imagine that synchronizing a large number of engines would be a tremendous chore; it's difficult enough today with modern technology.

I hope this helps answer a few questions.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Ollie

Tophe, you missed my point!   :o

I meant using B-29 kits to do the first Evan Fw 119 you made.  Not a super monster plane from Hell!

This one :

:D  :D  :D  :D

Like the plan I have of using a B-29 and a Ju 88 to do a Me 264.

:wub:

Ollie

Why chop a Ju 88?  Well, when the Special Hobby kit retails for about 70-80$ over here, you chop a Ju 88.

Tophe

QuoteOh, the doubled V-1710 did happen as the W-3420 in the XP-75/XP-75A and the XB-39.  I rather suspect that if the R-3350 had suffered much more in the way of development problems, the USAAF would've replaced the B-29 with the B-39.  As far as I know, the W-3420 was the only coupled engine to be successfully developed and flight tested.
My archives are different. I do not pretend like JMNs that I own The Truth, but just know what I have read in books :
* Allison V-3420 = V-1710*2 : P-75, XP-58, XP-67 variant, Mc Donnell model 1 variant, XB-19 variant, B-29 variant
* Rolls-Royce Vulture = Peregrine*2 : Manchester (mass-produced), Blackburn B20, Warwick variant, Hawker Tornado variant
* Daimler-Benz DB.606/610 = DB.603/605 *2 : Heinkel 177 (mass-produced), Fw 191 and Heinkel 119 variants (this is precisely our subject here !), Messerschmitt 261, Junkers 288, Japanese R2Y Keiun & Ki 64 Rob
* Hispano-Suiza 24 = HS 12 *2 : Matra R100 twin-boomer etc.
* Engines in tandem mounted by the aircraft manufactuerer (not the engine company creating a double one) : Bolkhovitinov S and twin-boom I, Beriev B-20, Polikarpov SI, etc.

So... maybe the 3420 (V or W ?) was the only US coupled engine, but not the only one in the World. Am I wrong, just dreaming of what might have been ?