Heller 1:72 Fennec/Trojan - Paint Done !

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, March 08, 2009, 04:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

No pics yet - not even a box-shot - Just found the kit whilst turfing-out the stash looking for something entirely unconnected. Cracking little kit except for those dreadful canoe shaped fairings under the wings for the (not included) .50 gun pods (See the SWAPS/SALE/WANTED board). Hopefully will go together a whole lot easier than the AJ mentioned elsewhere.

Markings/scheme already decided, trying to keep it quiet for now, but everybody will guess when you see the progress shots later.

Pics soon.

Best

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

It's this boxing..... A number of collegues here on this very site, have donated or are in the process of donating .50cal gun-pods; so the build will be commencing imminantly.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

chrisonord

I have one of these in the stash, that I forgot I had as it was not with the rest of my kits. The box art is different to yours though, I think mine is going to get a BIG turbo prop engine, wyvern contra props, and I have some sky raider wings that might get used.
Looking forward to seeing this this one  :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

This was one of the options I had thought off too Ian, it's just made for it
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on March 14, 2009, 05:46:59 AM
I have one of these in the stash, that I forgot I had as it was not with the rest of my kits. The box art is different to yours though, I think mine is going to get a BIG turbo prop engine, wyvern contra props, and I have some sky raider wings that might get used.
Looking forward to seeing this this one  :thumbsup:

Taiwan made a real turbo-prop version, with a very conical nose.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Ian the Kiwi Herder

The only reference I have for the Fennec/Trojan is the old Squad/Sig book. Very little coverage of the Fennec, but what there is, is fascinating. Really looking forward to getting started, but may not get it finished for the deadline..... however as I'm one of the moderators that may not be an issue ! :blink:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Ian, don't know if it's any use or not, but I posted this pic earlier today of a T-28 with an armoured canopy.  It's a Storm Chaser designed to resist monster hail rather than AAA, but might be a different look for it.
Reminds me a bit of some Skyraider variants.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Quote from: apophenia on March 16, 2009, 11:20:28 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 14, 2009, 08:23:04 PM
Taiwan made a real turbo-prop version, with a very conical nose.

That'd be the 52 AIDC T-CH-1 Chung Hsing conversions with 1450 shp  Lycoming T53s.
Hmm, I think I will have to do a bit better than that, it does look a bit wimpish doesn't it?
Bigger engine and more propeller blades needed, and twice as many hard points I think will be the order of the day.
I like the armoured canopy on the storm chaser version.

Mossie

A Mamba probably wouldn't look that different to the T53 powered version above.  The Boulton Paul Balliol T.1 with Mamba powerplant had a similar nose profile to the Chung Hsing shown.

I'm guessing Ian probably won't go for much in the way of conversion, he's more of an airbrush man.  You're going to prove me wrong now, aren't you Ian?!? :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

At a serious risk of thread hijacking, here's the Balliol as originally intended with Mamba power:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Mossie on March 16, 2009, 03:19:03 PM
I'm guessing Ian probably won't go for much in the way of conversion, he's more of an airbrush man.  You're going to prove me wrong now, aren't you Ian?!? :lol:

Conversion ?

Please explain this word ??

Seriously though..... I'm not going to get too much done on this in the foreseeable future, even though I'm itching to get this started and the Alpha Jet finished. I'm on nights tomorrow (Wednesday) and Thursday then on Sunday off on a two-week course at our Training Centre near Christchurch (on the South Coast overlooking the Channel, where the beach huts cost £40,000/$75,000 US - I kid you not !). When I get back it's three days until the Cosford show !

Looks like there's going to be an extension to this GB - just to allow me to finish my own models !! - What do you mean, I'm abusing my position as moderator  :wacko:

Talk about frustration ! Grrrrrrrrr  >:(

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

Neat stuff, Ian ! The old Trojan would make a great ground-pounder......and I have to agree with how wimpy that modded one looks. Maybe if it had the armoured canopy ? Nah...it's still be too wimpy looking !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ed S

Here's picture of the prototype turboprop COIN/CAS version

http://www.aero-web.org/database/aircraft/getimage.htm?id=16252

It looks like "underarmed" was not an option.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Ed S on March 17, 2009, 11:47:34 AM
<...> http://www.aero-web.org/database/aircraft/getimage.htm?id=16252 <...>

They should seriously consider stretching the wings. Otherwise they won't have enough space for pylons... :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

chrisonord

Quote from: Ed S on March 17, 2009, 11:47:34 AM
Here's picture of the prototype turboprop COIN/CAS version

http://www.aero-web.org/database/aircraft/getimage.htm?id=16252

It looks like "underarmed" was not an option.

Ed
Christ on a bike!! :o
Is there enough weapons on that thing???
Surely they could have put something on the wing tips, and stashed something behind the pilot :rolleyes:
But I do like it though, it must have been designed by a Lancastrian. :wacko:
Chris.