Provider C2

Started by JayBee, March 07, 2009, 01:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

In the early 1950's, the R.A.F. realising the need for a tactical transport with significantly greater carrying capacity than the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer, but less than the Blackburn Beverly, started to look around at what was obtainable "off the shelf".
After examining what was available, the Fairchild C-123 Provider was selected, and an order for an initial batch of twelve was placed.
These were known as the Provider C1, and were used for service suitability trials. They proved very useable aircraft in the ETO. However, in the Mid East and Near East, theatres they suffered from a lack of performance in the "hot and high" conditions.
The USAF were overcoming this problem by fitting auxiliary jet engines to their C-123's (producing the C-123K model) but the R.A.F. did not like the idea of mixed power-plants, and the attendant fuel supply problems, in a tactical scenario, therefore a different solution was sought.
Marshal's of Cambridge suggested the new Rolls-Royce Tyne turbo-prop as an alternative power-plant and so one aircraft was made available for conversion.
The subsequent trials, with what was known as the Provider C1(T), in the Middle East, and East Africa proved so successful that all existing aircraft were converted, and a large order was placed for more. These known as the Provider C2, went straight to Marshal's for conversion and at the height of their operational career, the R.A.F. had ten full squadrons of the type in service.
The last one was retired in 1983.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Jeffry Fontaine

Now that is a WHIF with class!
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

John Howling Mouse

100% believable.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

pyro-manic

MEAF camo is just lovely, isn't it? :wub: Very nice work, JayBee! :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitbasher

Nice!  So probably no need for the Andover and likely to be replaced by the DHC-5 Buffalo, perhaps?  Now here's a good whif concept.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Jim,

I'm sure I saw one of those at Lyenham once........... :)

OUTSTANDING, and in the true spirit of Whiffery. Did the Tynes come from a Heller C-160, and if so what have you got planned for the rest of it? :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Zeke

So what's the Whif?...isn't this real?...it must be!... :thumbsup:
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

kitnut617

very nice, I like this one  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Is that the A-Model 1/144 kit ? Tremendous  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

D*mn ! - Not as much a What If but more of a What-Should-Have-Been

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Well that definately works :wub:

(then again what doesn't look good in this scheme?)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: nev on March 08, 2009, 05:54:20 AM
(then again what doesn't look good in this scheme?)

Airfix 1:24 Citroen 2CV ? :unsure:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ChernayaAkula

This will turn some heads!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

Beauty ! That sure changes the look of that old aircraft, eh ?

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

MartG

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction