S

Mental Block

Started by sideshowbob9, March 05, 2009, 04:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideshowbob9

Hi guys, just wanted to pick your brains. I recently got a job lot of 8 models off of ebay. The singular grainy photo revealed a Lightning, Canberra, Comet & Britannia. Imagine my surprise when it turns out to be 9 items, one of which is a VC-10 (I've been after one for months!). They are all in need of stripping down & TLC but are in relatively good nick.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I have some models I have no clue what to do with so I'm open to suggestions. The models are:

1/72 Sea Harrier FA.2
1/72 Canberra (say B.2 or T.4)
1/72 Dominie T.1
1/72 Hs125-800? (definately not a Dominie)

Thanks.

Oh & I am not a zombie, the brain-picking is figurative..... mostly!  :wacko:

Aircav

Hi Sideshowbob
you could do them all German

SHar, Bundesmarine, 1990's.
Canberra, Luftwaffe bomber, 1970's in grey, green splinter and silver underside.
Dominie, Dayglo Orange as a callibration aircraft with civil reg.
Hs125, VIP Luftwaffe, white with blue stripe

;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Joe C-P

JMSDF Harrier

Chilean Canberra
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Hobbes

You could do the Harrier in RAF markings: what if the RAF decided they needed a decent radar for their Harrier force?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on March 08, 2009, 08:57:31 AM
You could do the Harrier in RAF markings: what if the RAF decided they needed a decent radar for their Harrier force?

The RAF DO need a decent radar for their Harrier force, but no-one in the higher echelons seems to grasp the significance........ :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions.

The Canberra is now spoken for. It's going to be a pointy-nosed Red Top-equipped RAF interceptor.... unless it's a pointy-nosed Falcon-equipped USN missileer...... ah nuts!  :banghead:

The Dominie & Hs125-600 (Matchbox I believe) are still in need of inspiration.

As for the Harrier, it's actually a FRS.1 with a somewhat hastily attached nose fashioned to resemble a Blue Vixen. So I'm thinking either some kind of RAE Bedford-esque development scheme (not raspberry ripple as I have something else planned for that) or a PLAN reverse-engineered option. I'm a bit loathe to go JMSDF as I have envisioned them going the CTOL route with a JMSDF F-7JKai "Katana" (someone has to give the Cutlass some love).

As for the GR.7/9 radar debate, my 2p is that in their current role in mountainous, sandy places, there is just too much ground clutter for a low-level FJ to make sense of much with a grafted on radar. They're better off being cued onto a target by a high-altitude asset like a Sentinel or Nimrod. The FA.2s however, shouldn't have been cut at least until a couple more Type 45 Destroyers had hit water!  :rolleyes:

Aircav

Hmm, now theres a thing, a Japanese B-57 in two tone blue camo, one for Nev me thinks  ;D

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

sideshowbob9

^ Noooooooooo!!!!! Now I need another B-57!!!!  ;D

On a completely unrelated note, I just bought an AMT XB-70!  :o

Any suggestions for that?

B777LR

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 08, 2009, 10:33:23 AM
Quote from: Hobbes on March 08, 2009, 08:57:31 AM

The RAF DO need a decent radar for their Harrier force, but no-one in the higher echelons seems to grasp the significance........ :(

A decent radar? How about just getting a radar? ;D

Aircav

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on March 09, 2009, 10:06:54 AM

British Airways or Air Force One

Sir Sydney Camm

nev

Quote from: Aircav on March 09, 2009, 10:04:02 AM
Hmm, now theres a thing, a Japanese B-57 in two tone blue camo, one for Nev me thinks  ;D

I think someone did a profile of a B-57J or two a while back - Mav?  Mossie?  Anyway, there's too many RW Cranberries I want to build before I start whiffing them.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on March 05, 2009, 04:27:34 AM
Anyway, the point of this post is that I have some models I have no clue what to do with so I'm open to suggestions. The models are:

1/72 Hs125-800? (definately not a Dominie)

how about a US presidential a/c in the same manner as the C-140 jetstars

xtracolor do the presidential shades of blue......  :wacko:
Keeper of George the Cat.

sideshowbob9

Got the Presidential treatment in mind for a Boeing SST (2707-100?) which will become my VC-170A. Maybe a navigational trainer in the vein of a T-39 Sabreliner though? Hmmmmm.......

I think the XB-70 is going to be a boring old B-52 replacement for the USAF.

While I'm at it I may as well list all my models that I don't have ideas for and see what you guys can come up with.

1/72 Dominie T.1
1/72 Sea Harrier FA.2
1/72 F-16D
1/72 F-104G
1/72 Mig-9 + Mig-9UTI
1/72 TA-7C + A-7E Corsair IIs (TA-7C probably Philipines AF)
1/72 Fw-189 Uhu (Maybe French Indo-China COIN?)
1/72 Do-335A-6

I think that's it  :blink:

Any suggestions gratefully received  ;D

MartG

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on March 09, 2009, 10:06:54 AM

Buy lots of filler ( I'm currently building one as a spaceplane launcher )
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction