T

Tempest F1

Started by The Wooksta, March 02, 2009, 04:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta

What if the early Tempest with the leading edge radiators had entered service?

This is the Academy kit with resin leading edge radiators and new underside engine cowling.  The actual Tempest I had a a carb intake but I extrapolated foreward and went with the later style of ram scoop adopted by the solitary Sabre engined Fury.  Post war markings for an aircraft in the Middle East.

Captain Canada

With those mods and in that colour, it definately changes the look ! Much like a Spitfire from some angles. Cool.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Another nice Tempest, Lee.  Well done.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

Looks different in dk green/dk earth, another good job!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

I think it's the first time I've seen a model in that scheme Lee - used in Palestine I think
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 03, 2009, 04:28:55 PM
It's slate grey!  I went for the post war desert scheme alleged tohave been worn by some Tempest F6s in Africa in the post war period.

The wonders of digital images, I wasn't sure it was dark green, but I wouldn't have guessed at slate grey either from the pic!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Time to bump this one too.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Old Wombat

Good idea, I hadn't seen this build before! :thumbsup:

To me it looks like something the RN might have been interested in as a more stable alternative to the Seafire.

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

They got it - the Sea Fury.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  The Sabre would have been the wrong engine for carrier use, given it's complexity and tight tolerances.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Navy aircraft tended toward the air cooled radial for purely practical purposes of course, even though the odd in-line engined type was used, eg Seafires, Fireflies, Barracudas etc.

But now and then an odd-ball does look good in our world.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 24, 2013, 06:21:17 AM

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  The Sabre would have been the wrong engine for carrier use, given it's complexity and tight tolerances.

I'd have to disagree there Lee, apart form the Sabre being liguid cooled, the workings of it were just the same as a Centaurus, both engines being sleeve valve with the same type of operating mechanisms to move the sleeves.  The Navy went with the air cooled version of the theme but the original Firebrands were Sabre powered
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 24, 2013, 06:21:17 AM

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  The Sabre would have been the wrong engine for carrier use, given it's complexity and tight tolerances.

I guess my point was that if a Sea Tempest had been developed in conjunction with the Tempest (as the Sea Fury was with the Fury) then it would have been available for service during from 1944, as opposed to being too late to see service in WW2, as was the Sea Fury. Especially bearing in mind that the Tempest II, operating in 1945, had a radial engine & a Sea Tempest II would have been a direct lead-in to the Sea Fury.

Cheers!

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 24, 2013, 08:40:25 AM
I guess my point was that if a Sea Tempest had been developed in conjunction with the Tempest (as the Sea Fury was with the Fury) then it would have been available for service during from 1944, as opposed to being too late to see service in WW2, as was the Sea Fury. Especially bearing in mind that the Tempest II, operating in 1945, had a radial engine & a Sea Tempest II would have been a direct lead-in to the Sea Fury.

Cheers!

Guy

A Tempest was tested for carrier suitability Guy, but I think you'll find that one of the the main gripes the RN had was the view over the cowling, especially when landing on the carrier (where the pilot lost complete view of the deck right at the crucial moment).  A spec was issued which included an aircraft to have a better view (this was mainly for the landing) and the results were the Fury/Sea Fury and Spiteful/Seafang, both aircraft having a raised cockpit area.  The Firefly's cockpit was much further forward than the Seafire, Tempests etc, so didn't have the same problems.  Another problem was the weight of the Tempest and Hawker did a very concise study of reducing the weight, and this resulted in the "light-weight" Tempest which in turn led directly to the Fury (see Tempest/Fury LA610)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

I did a Tempest II in RN colours as a lead in trainer to the Sea Fury - do I win £5?

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30661.0

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

pyro-manic

Very nice - I did a Typhoon in that Slate Grey/Earth scheme a year or so ago, as a tank-buster in Egypt. It's quite an odd look.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<