Dassault joins the Fleet Air Arm

Started by bacofoil, February 28, 2009, 03:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bacofoil

"What if" The Royal Navy had got both of its CVA-01 aircraft carriers in 1971 and 72 ?
HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Duke of Edinburgh put in many months at sea and by the early 1980s it is clear they will need to be refitted.This will of course will be very expensive and in order to keep both carriers the RN are told to reduce costs elsewhere.
The RN fast jet squadrons bear the brunt of the cost reductions and the hoped for order for McDonnell F/A-18 Hornets is cancelled.To maintain a viable combat ability, first the navy's F4 Phantom is upgraded with the Hughes APG-73 radar and avionics,improved Speys and an airframe overhaul.
The Buccaneer needs to be replaced and an affordable "off the shelf" purchase is sought.
The choice goes to Dassault with an order for 34 Super Etendards.12 for each carrier and 11 at Yeovilton for conversion and attrition.The aircraft becomes the Cormorant FRS1 and changes from the French model are,Blue Fox radar,Aden cannons,various UK avionics and the Atar engine built by Rolls Royce.
The first squadron to go operational is 888 (the Sea eagles) aboard HMS Duke of Edinburgh.Model of which shown below!!
All comments,good and bad welcome.

lancer

Nice, the Super Entandard looks good wearing FAA colours!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Spey_Phantom

looks great, i did a FAA Super Etendard exactly like that in the Falklands GB.
it looks almost identical  ;D

EDIT: more info (made in 2007)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,15194.0.html

and NO, im not hijacking this thread.
guess its treu, great minds do think alike  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Handsome.... yup that's the word. :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

It's scary how natural that Entard looks wearing a Fleet Air Arm scheme! Excellent work!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Daryl J.

If that would have been submitted to ARC, you'd have fooled me.   :wub: :wub:

Daryl J.

NARSES2

Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 28, 2009, 11:08:38 AM
It's scary how natural that Entard looks wearing a Fleet Air Arm scheme! Excellent work!
Brian da Basher

My thoughts exactly - looks like something out of the Hawker stable - who said Sea Hunter ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

bacofoil

Thanks guys.Fully agree the Super Etendard does look "just right " in FAA colours.
Always luved that Grey and White look though.
Maybe a few others would look right in them !!(starts to think!!).

Dork the kit slayer

That looks so good in FAA colours..................great build.
If I copy remember I only steal from the best(as does a good mate of mine....................off me)
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 01, 2009, 02:38:36 AM
Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 28, 2009, 11:08:38 AM
Brian da Basher

My thoughts exactly - looks like something out of the Hawker stable - who said Sea Hunter ?  ;D

Narse2, Im with you on that mate...it just shouts Hawker.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

bacofoil

Maybe Hawker could have built it under license ? Even fitted with an Avon  or Adour ?

Sisko

Simple scheme and an elegent finish :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Rafael

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER