Metallic paints?

Started by PR19_Kit, February 23, 2009, 08:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

When I was doing lots of modelling, up to 5 years ago, I tended to use Humbrol's Metalkote paints in all their various shades, mixing and matching as appropriate.

It seems they don't exist any more and my paint store of them has either gone solid or are approaching zero levels, so what's available these days? I'm NOT the world's skilled airbrush user, much preferring brush finishes, so things like Alclad are out for me I'm afraid, so who makes a good range of mixable metallic shades nowadays?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

errrr Humbrol. They still do metallics and the Metalkote polishable ones.

http://www.humbrol.com/paints/enamel-paints/
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

kitnut617

Yes Humbrol like Weaver says Kit.  Then there's Testors Model Master line
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Games Workshops Citadel Colour range has several metallic shades.  They go on smoothly & have a very good metallic finish, not always the case with acrylics.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dork the kit slayer

I have the "new" Humbrol metal coats and find they dont brush as easily as the originals.
I find that the polished steel has to go on in one pass of the brush or it lifts. :banghead: :banghead: Ive bought three different tins from different shops and still have the problem.  Dont want to rain on your parade mate,hopefully others will have better results
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

PR19_Kit

Well d**n me, my LMS told me they didn't make them any more!  >:(

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try another scource.

The ones I used most of were Matt Aluminium and Polished Aluminium, so if they do them I'll be a happy bunny. Funnily enough I never had much joy with the old Polished Steel, it always seemed to end up streaky with lots of different shades across the panel.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Humbrol Metalcote seems to be made for airbrushing (and even then takes some practice; I just did a few wing leading edges with 27001 aluminium, 3 out of 5 went ok, the other 2 I misjudged the drying time and ended up smearing the paint all to hell). Gunmetal goes on well with a brush, but the others I have the same problem with as Dork.

Steel Penguin

Tamiya the gun metals good, the coppers ok, the metalic greys good, the chromes ish, and the golds yuck.
Games workshops, the range isnt too bad at all, but they do tend to drift round in the colour a bit, from batch to batch.
Cryla, artists acrylic ( yup the tube stuff) do a buteful peweter and silver.
whoever still produces the old GW line ( sory cant remeber the name) if they do the eqivalent of shining gold, get this.  Its possibly the best ive ever used, smooth, and a nice rich gold finish, not brassy and with a black brown ink wash, looks wonderly aged with a quick drybrush.

hope this helps.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

pyro-manic

That's Vallejo I think - they do the "VGC" range (Vallejo Game Colour) that are very nice. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

NARSES2

Must admit I find Games Workshop brush paints very well. Tamiya gun metal as mentioned is ok, their bronze is ok after damaging your wrist stirring it  :banghead:. Still have some Humbrol "Authentic's" Military range which were excellent.

Humbrol have re-done their Railway Colours - not sure if there are any metalics in that range ? Just answered my own question - No. Some interesting colours in the range though.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

For brush-painting, GW can't be beat.

However, for an all-over metallic finish, I swear by Halfords paints.  They do an aluminium and a whole host of metallic shades matched to various cars.  Just make sure its well mixed and you don't spray indoors as it smells like concentrated cat pee!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Quote from: nev on February 24, 2009, 09:06:24 AM
For brush-painting, GW can't be beat.

However, for an all-over metallic finish, I swear by Halfords paints.  They do an aluminium and a whole host of metallic shades matched to various cars.  Just make sure its well mixed and you don't spray indoors as it smells like concentrated cat pee!

I've got some Holts Titanium: lovely colour  :wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Yes, I have a whole slew of Halford's stuff, mainly for my airliner models.

But you can't do metallic finishes on 1/72 military stuff with it, except for RAF 'High Speed Silver' Meteors etc. I 'mixed and matched' the old Metalkote into maybe 4-5 intermediate shades and did each panel, almost at random. I've got a natural metal Russian Whiff on the stocks now that's going to need quite a bit of paint, and I have just one tin of Polished Aluminium left. :(

Regards
Kit

jcf

Xtracolor do some metallics:
Xtracolor X500    Duralumin Enamel (14ml)
Xtracolor X501    Silver Enamel (14ml)
Xtracolor X502    Natural Steel Enamel (14ml)
Xtracolor X503    Oily Steel Enamel (14ml)
Xtracolor X504    Exhaust Enamel (14ml)
Xtracolor X506    Gunmetal Enamel (14ml)
Xtracolor X508    Burnt Iron Enamel (14ml)

Also, I have seen good results with the Gunze Mr. Color metallics.

Jon

kitnut617

Xtracolor also do 'Corrugard' (that's how is spelt on the can folks) which is a metalicy paint.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike