Shorts Choco GR.1

Started by kitnut617, February 21, 2009, 02:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I'm going to start this one but whether it gets finished in time I don't know.  But to start with if anyone is wondering why 'Choco', it's a sub-species of the Toucan family.

I've had this project in mind for quite sometime and when this GB came up I thought this was just perfectly timed.  Along with the Winjeel these seemed to fit the bill.

I get the impression that the wing of the Tucano might be related to the P-51, it has a lot of similarities. When I fitted these guns in, the chord profile seems to match very well.  Anyway, here's the start and what you see here is all the changes I'm going to make to the airframe, maybe something fitted to the wingtips, but that's all.:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

John Howling Mouse

Very feasible, as always!   :thumbsup:  Hope you can get this one finished...will be a real treat to see it completed.   :cheers:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

Thanks Barry,

The story would be that the RAF, after their experiences in Afganistan, realized that fast jets weren't always the best solution in the situation over there.  Always keeping an eye at what equipment was around, they decided to send a couple of their Tucanos back to Shorts after having a good look at a Super Tucano, with a request to upgrade the aircraft with a new engine and store points under the wings.  Shorts responded by installing the latest version of the PT-6 with a five blade prop, one centerline pylon wired to take a targeting pod, two pylons just outboard the main u/c plumbed for fuel tanks, two more heavy ordnance pylons and then eight small pylons for weapons like the Hellfire/Brimstone plus cannon in the wings. The cockpit would be orientated accordingly for the use of these weapons.

These aircraft were tested thoroughly in the operational environment by the RAF and after completion, were loaned to the CAF who also did their own evaluation while the aircraft were still in Afganistan.  This will get some Canadian markings I have left over from the CH-151 project but not with all the little stones that helicopter got ('cause I've none left  ;D )

This is the load out I'm thinking for this one. 

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

Can anyone tell me what the four larger missiles are please ?, I got them from somewhere but do you think I can find the source kit now.  Also are they an AGM ?

kitnut617

Ed S

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 23, 2009, 12:06:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what the four larger missiles are please ?, I got them from somewhere but do you think I can find the source kit now.  Also are they an AGM ?

If you are referring to the ones next to the fuel tanks, they are Durandals.  A French made runway cratering munition.  They are designed for high speed jets to fly across an airfield at low level and are retarded to allow the jet to get away and not get caught in the blast. 

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yup they certainly are, I got them in (of all things) the Hasegawa F-111 !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

Thanks Ed, guess this little sucker won't have to worry about the blast effect, the missiles will be miles out in front before the Choco even catches up with it.   :lol:

Now I have another thought, are they missiles ?  

Edit: strike that, I've just found out for myself, they're bombs.

Looks like I'm looking for something else again  :blink:

PR19_Kit

The Durandal does have a rocket motor though, albeit a rather strange one.

The idea was (is...) that the motor fires when the thingie is pointing straight down, that helps punch its way through the runway surface before it goes off. I was lucky enough to watch a test of one once and the eruption when it went off was awe inspiring!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I wonder if they would work on underground hide-aways and such, like how the Vietcong had a network of underground tunnels and bunkers

ChernayaAkula

This is gonna be awesome!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rallymodeller

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 23, 2009, 05:20:23 PM
I wonder if they would work on underground hide-aways and such, like how the Vietcong had a network of underground tunnels and bunkers

Probably -- they had a delay-fuse and an armoured nose-cap to penetrate reinforced concrete. Take a look at this Youtube video.

Spectacular stuff there, KN. If you are trying to sway this moderator with leafy roundels, I must advise you that you may be on to something... ;D
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 23, 2009, 05:20:23 PM

They'd work if they hit close enough, but they're not guided in any way, so although getting them on a runway or road when you're flying along it at low level isn't that hard, hitting a point target would be rather more difficult.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

I'm thinking that there could be a labyrinth of tunnels and such, so --here's a scenario:

The ground forces are closing in on the baddies, but they've gone underground.  Instead of the ground forces then having to root them out, they surround the perimeter at a safe distance and set off some target flares, then call in a couple of Chocos.  They swoop in, drop the Durandals and then the ground forces go to work on whatever pops up in the aftermath.

Sounds possible -- right?