Main Menu

Display team GB

Started by Weaver, February 19, 2009, 02:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Simple idea: make a Whiff model of an aerobatic display team aircraft.

Some possibilities:

Real team, real colors, whiff aircraft. Example: What if the Red Arrows flew front-line aircraft like the US teams? Red Arrows Hunter, Red Arrows Jaguar, Red Arrows Typhoon.......

Real team, whiff colours, real aircraft. Example: think you can paint a Hawk better than the Red Arrows? Prove it...

Whiff team and colours, real or whiff aircraft. Example: The San Torta Sloths: the only amphibious aerobatic display team in the world, who's pilots put on a synchronised swimming display on their way to their aircraft... ;D

Alternative History: The Red Arrows of the People's Republic of Great Britain, with red stars instead of roundels in the middle of the white stripes on the sides of their red L-39 Albatrosses....

Timeshift: What if the Red Arrows started early enough to have Vampires or Jet Provosts? What if the Yellowjackets lasted long enough to get Hawks?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

lancer

Some very nice ideas in that lot Weaver....definately needs to be thought about.  I dud a black Arrows Hawk 200 afor the '06 SIG display. SO I could well get behind this idea
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Quite a few ideas on that front have been aired in the Flight Simulator world.

The number of Red Arrows Typhoon files around are legion, not to mention aerobatic Tornado teams of various types.

Personally I reckon a Firebirds Tornado F3 would look pretty sharp, and 56 Sqdn. went most of the way with one of their display aircraft a year or two ago, but not quite 100%.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I've had an idea for a Blue Impulse Hunter for some time & Geoff was talking about his own very special display team bird at Huddersfield!  I'll keep it under my hat!

What about sponsored display teams?  Originally done as part of the Cola Wars thread.

I've seen a Red Arrows Alphajet profile somewhere, sacrilege!  Which means someones got to do it.....! :wacko:  I did a very rough colour change on a Red Arrows Hawk some time ago to see what it'd look like in more patriotic colours, it looked like an upside down Patrouille de France aircraft.  Now that is sacrilege!!! :lol:

Talking about Red Arrows, 'what if' the RAF had consolidated the display teams but retained front line types.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Aircav

There has been a Vulcan and VC10 display teams before
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

puddingwrestler

The San Tortan Sloths are the country's less popular male display team. It's the Slothettes that people turn out to see - synchronised swimming by bronzed latin lovelies on the way to thier planes followed by synchronised aerobatics, all while wearing a patriotic red and green bikini!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Aircav on February 19, 2009, 01:24:10 PM

Outstanding! :)

I saw the Vulcan team at SMW once, but never the Viccie 10s. They all seem to have kangaroos painted on the nose, what's that all about?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

nev

Oh yes!  I have an F-2 I have in the stash to do in Blue Impulse markings - as was proposed in the original order before the numbers were cut.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 19, 2009, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: Aircav on February 19, 2009, 01:24:10 PM

Outstanding! :)

I saw the Vulcan team at SMW once, but never the Viccie 10s. They all seem to have kangaroos painted on the nose, what's that all about?

Didn't you know the Royal Australian air force had VC-10's  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Aircav on February 20, 2009, 02:07:06 AM
Didn't you know the Royal Australian air force had VC-10's  ;D

Someone needs to write up the Alternative History on that one then......

I wonder how they tanked up the F-111s, or were they retrofitted with booms? ;)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Now there's a though - an aerobatic refuelling display......... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Yeah, you do it upside down and all the planes have thier coloure smoke machines running at the time. Then you do a sieries of half loops and rolls to seperate again. :thumbsup:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Mossie

Somebody in Aus has to do this one!

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on February 21, 2009, 04:01:51 AM
Somebody in Aus has to do this one!

Interestingly enough there are proposals to keep 1 - 2 F-111s airworthy just to do Dump & Burns and displays - I doubt it will happen though.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: Weaver on February 20, 2009, 05:53:37 AM
Now there's a though - an aerobatic refuelling display......... ;D

Been there, seen that - a few years ago I was at an Airshow where a number of Aircraft (Il-78/Su-27 and 2 A-4s (buddy tanking) + others if I remember correctly) did AAR displays for the crowd.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!