Heres one`s idea for one, from one, one made earlier.

Started by HOG, February 16, 2009, 05:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al,

It`s a  bit late in the day but back when I was building this:-

I had gotten this far-

and some one suggested way back then that I should change it and enter it for the LSR build.

" philp
Needs A Life Outside What-If
Design By Comittee Part 2
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 01:51:09 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know.
To me it looks like you have a great looking entry for next years Land Speed Record GB  B)   

Phil Peterson"

So if nobody minds, I`m gonna cut the wings etc back to above, source some wheels and stuff, and design a car.  ;D

Cheers  :drink:
G

H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al

Just a few pics of progress and a question.

Its stripped back and now looks like this

On the next shot is the rear wheel thingy ready for push moulding.

I can`t decide which way round it should go.
The last pic is the way I intended but the second gives a more streamlined look. Whatever way round I decide it will have a slatted front for aircooling the tyres, but that blunt look looks so wrong but so tempting  ;D
So what do you think?

Cheerz  :drink:
G
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

JayBee

Have a look at whales, they tend to be blunt at the front and thin at the rear. This makes them pass through the fluid easier.
So it should work in the air.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

philp

There I go, creating more competition for myself.

Still think it fits HOG, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Hobbes

Quote from: JayBee on February 19, 2009, 12:48:36 PM
Have a look at whales, they tend to be blunt at the front and thin at the rear. This makes them pass through the fluid easier.

Low-speed hydrodynamics is rather different from high-speed aerodynamics. Aircraft don't tend to have blunt noses.

HOG

Quote from: Hobbes on February 19, 2009, 11:04:40 PM

Low-speed hydrodynamics is rather different from high-speed aerodynamics. Aircraft don't tend to have blunt noses.

But `What If` they did. The X3 could come in a much shorter box, the Nimrod could look even more like a Pug. The Super Guppy would only need two engines and the Baluga................ the bind moggles,

;D
G
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Yeah this is whiff. If it looks cool, build it. This looks very cool.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on February 19, 2009, 11:04:40 PM

Not really, there is that thickness of fluid factor and anyhow, re-entry vehicles, the ultimate in high-speed aerodynamics,
do have blunt noses.  ;D

Also, the teardrop with its greatest cross-section at one third of its length is theoretically the lowest drag form.
HOG's wheel pants would theoretically have less drag with the blunt face forward, that is actually more 'streamlined'
if using the term scientifically rather than aesthetically.

Jon

HOG

[/quote]

HOG's  pants would theoretically have less drag with the blunt face forward
[/quote]

Hey why`d nobodies toll me my pants drag, `haps I`ll gets mesell a pair o dem braces!  ;D

G
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Hobbes

Re-entry vehicles are not designed for minimum drag, but for stability.

When you get close to the speed of sound, a blunt nose would interfere with the supersonic shockwave, I suspect. 

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al

After the excitement of last nights Whiffies its time to get back to normal.
The shapes on this are coming together nicely and it will soon be time for a good old cleanup and polish before paint. As to what paint not really sure yet, maybe a multi tonal metal ala German racers, or BR Green with a Union Flag, or maybe custom with flames and sponsors logos. Have to have a looksee whats in the stickers box.

Colour suggestions anyone?
Cheerz :drink:
G
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Hobbes

The German racing color was white, the 'Silberpfeile' were an attempt to save weight by not painting the cars.

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on February 23, 2009, 11:14:20 PM
The German racing color was white, the 'Silberpfeile' were an attempt to save weight by not painting the cars.

Actually the Mercedes and Auto Union 'Silver Arrow' cars were covered with a thin coat of aluminum paint, they were not bare metal.
The famous paint stripping story was the result of the M-B W25 cars being overweight at their first weigh in, the white paint and body filler
was stripped off overnight and the cars received a thin coat of aluminum paint prior to being reweighed.
The story is related in Racing the Silver Arrows & Auto Union Album 1934-1939 both by Chris Nixon,
Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows by Bolsinger/Becker and other sources.

Jon

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al,
Well its ready for priming and still stuck for a  definite idea of colour. Looking at these pics reminds me of the EE Lightning influence on the rear, and the high proof tonsil varnish influence on the rest of the original build.

I have to agree with Philp (sorry for calling you Phillip in the past, just realised the correct spelling and apologies) and it does look better as a car than as a plane.
One idea that's been banging around in the vacuum where most people have grey matter is a back story to this. After the war the Iron Curtain and the Cold War never happened. Germany remained a united country but like Japan was not allowed to have a large military force so had large sums of foldables available for R & D. Their already high standard of technical skills in engine design and aerodynamics was developed, and as they were unable to put this to military use other outlets were found to experiment in. Before the war Opel experimented with rocket powered cars and planes and as the rocket was a dead end, jet engines became the motive power. So here we have a Opel Junkers (or Junkers Opel) design for a land speed record car (this lets me get away with the Jumo 004`s in the back) of around 1947/8.

Anyways thats my excuse and I`m sticking to it  ;D

C & C`s as always,
Cheerz  :drink:
G

(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Mossie

Missed this one somehow.  Pre-war, I think Opel only raced in white & Junkers used black, so how about mixing these two colours?  Or if you used the silver, that might look like a Junkers pre-war aircraft?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.