S-3X Viking

Started by Rafael, February 14, 2009, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

This is my rendition of the EX program candidate. A boxwing design. In my universe, this is a MPSNA (Multi-Purpose Subsonic Naval Aircraft) project derivative. I will make the AEW/EW and ASW/ASUW platforms.

Both are made of foam, carved and shaped to match the lines of the venerable Viking, and for the wings, I returned to my origins and made them of cardboard (Yum!!!). Still have to do a lot of PSR, surfacing, and a little scribing.

The aircraft is a Boeing/Northrop-Grumman job, and uses a common airframe for the support activities of a naval air wing. I have a third one in the pipes, a COD version, but it's giving me a tremendous headache, and I'm still struggling to make it happen. Let's see.

Here's the WIP photos:

The "original":

Enjoy!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

jcf

Lovely Rafa.

You may enjoy these photos I found years ago on the old Boeing model shop website.
I actually saw the model in person in 2000, quite large and a beautiful.

Jon

GTX

Jon posted some cool photos of this here.

I believe the wings were to hold conformal anttenae.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Dohh!!! - Beaten to the punch line!!! :banghead:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Rafael

WOW!!!

Thanks, Jon and Greg!!! More references!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rafa

PD: According to the names given to these photos, "csa..." is this supposed to have entered in the CSA (Common Support Aircrfat) program?
1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Eddie M.

I like the looks of your workmanship. Looking forward to your progress. ;D
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Fearless scratchbuilding----my hat's off to you, Rafa.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ed S

Thinking out of the box again, Rafa.  I like this idea.  Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

jcf

Quote from: Rafael on February 15, 2009, 02:01:12 AM

PD: According to the names given to these photos, "csa..." is this supposed to have entered in the CSA (Common Support Aircrfat) program?

Yep.

Rafael

Thanks, mis amigos!! :thumbsup:

Well, after a very busy and stressful weekend, I wanted to continue with this. The engines. Well, those were a very hard nut to crack. I liked the ones in Jon's previous post, but I also liked the ones in the Viking. Scratchbuilding the first ones out of foam or wood was time-consuming and I need six  :o engines for three airplanes!.

Then I noticed an old, old, old 1/144 C-5 Galaxy sitting in one of my shelves. Suffice it to say that the reluctant donor's engine, closely matches in size and looks those of the Viking, so, I made two two-part molds of the corresponding engine halves with silicon putty, and poured my first test shot with my trusty automotive body-repair resin:

Here are the molds, very simple stuff, waffle-thin, and self-supporting, so no noticeable warping occurs in the cast

Here, the messed-up translucent thing is the first engine test shot. I made a mistake in my pour, but tomorrow will correct it in the successive pourings. The engine supports will be different. The cardboard (Yum!!!) wings have been hardened with marine varnish.

Saludos,

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

nev

necessity is indeed the mother of invention! :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May