Hawker P.1200/02/07 (F.16/F.17 analogues)

Started by TsrJoe, February 12, 2009, 03:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

kitnut617

Joe, I've been looking at these in BSP too (in the Macon book 'Hawker' as well) and I was struck by the similarities, do you think some of the design criteria was turned over to the US ?  I can't imagine designs from two totally different companies getting it so close.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TsrJoe

being honest i think these are more a case of the UK. following the US. lead, the designs by Hawker being based upon what was known of the F.16/17 design studies?

theres a similar situation with earlier studies too, theres analogues for such types as the F.104 and F.107 to name but two

cheers, Joe

Mossie

It's a possibility that they're comparison studies.  When I worked in research, we'd do this sometimes.  If we didn't have direct access to a competitors product, we might mock something up from patents & such to give us a guideline.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on February 12, 2009, 09:19:00 AM
It's a possibility that they're comparison studies.  When I worked in research, we'd do this sometimes.  If we didn't have direct access to a competitors product, we might mock something up from patents & such to give us a guideline.

Good possibility, Tommy Thomason's Secret Projects thread on the Grumman 110 design studies includes Grumman drawings of possible McDonnell and Republic competitors.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5545.15.html

Jon

Mossie

I've just checked the dates in BSP Fighters & the timescale of the projects seem to match that of the first flights of the YF-16 & YF-17 & the introduction of the F-16A.  It's definately not a case of design convergance, even before 1974 the general configuration would probably be known in the industry at least.

It does seem to fit the comparison study scenario well, you want to know just how well your product & knowledge compares to the competition so you find the data yourself.  The P.1202 seems to have been studied the most which seems to fit, the YF-16 had the most radical configuration.  The fact that the studies are not quite identical seems right too, you tend to go with materials & knowledge you already have.  Partly, that's simply because it's what you have at hand, second, it gives you a more direct comparison to your own product.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.