Finishing a P-38 thirty years later, as a glider

Started by Tophe, February 08, 2009, 05:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

My big time in modellism was 1978-79 before falling into a nervous breakdown, aged 15. The last model I start building then was a 1/32 Lightning (Revell P-38J), named "Glamoureuse Sylvie" (mix of my French love and Chuck Yeager's "Glamorous Glennis"), I did not finish as I wanted to die. I got out of the hospital in 2000, then moved to a new house in 2005, and unpacking, I found parts of this very big model, unachieved. I was now a happy what-ifer, and decided to turn it as a glider to put on the wall with no undercarriage. But that was a lot of work and I made other models before completing it. Now, it has "full priority", after my wooden half-day builds...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Eddie M.

I'm looking forward to your progress. After being gone from here for so long, your project will have us feeling like everything is back to normal around here. ;D
Look behind you!

cthulhu77

Tophe

I had started her again in 2006 (see http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,11602.0.html )
Then stopped again...
Now on again. I have lost the clear parts, maybe, so the project have changed from GP-38J to GP-38L:

Rafael

That is deliciously crazy, Tophe :wub: :wub: :wub:

I can't wait to see the end results :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

BlackOps

Tophe, this project looks great! I'm glad to see you picking up and old model and giving it new life  -_-  This year I've decided to try and finish a bunch of my incomplete builds. Looking forward to seeing more of this one.  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

bluedonkey99

Tophe

The p-38 on the right looks a bit like a Burt Rutan  style p-38?

I like the look of that one!

bd99

Tophe

Quote from: bluedonkey99 on February 10, 2009, 12:31:37 PM
The p-38 on the right looks a bit like a Burt Rutan  style p-38?
I take that (question? note?) as a compliment, thanks! ;D Glory to Burt Rutan, main twin-boom designer in this sad modern universe... :mellow:

Brian da Basher

What an imaginative concept - a P-38 glider! This is going to be a delight to see come together!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Tophe

The amount of putty to use is huge... I will have to buy more tubes.
Note (before I burry the cockpit alive :wacko:) that, 30 years ago, I was painting every cockpit, seat and all...

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Tophe on February 13, 2009, 08:40:09 AM
The amount of putty to use is huge... I will have to buy more tubes.

Yes, beyond all sense of geographical, political, and philosophical distance----PSR is one of those universal things that bind us.  You know, the world could learn a great deal from What If Modelers...   

Looking good already, Tophe!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 13, 2009, 05:11:17 PM
PSR is one of those universal things that bind us.
Uh? Sorry for my awful English but what is PSR? Putty-Sanding-Repair (or Revolution? ;D)

Brian da Basher

PSR = Putty, Sand, Repeat. I sometimes like to think of it as doing penance for disfiguring such nice model kits. ;)
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

Nice work, Tophe ! That's going to be one big glider !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sequoiaranger

It certainly will be unique when it's done!

As a glider, it certainly won't need those drag-producing radiators in the tails (I know--more cutting and PSR), and will have slim-looking appendages like the Saab J-21.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!