1:48 French Canadian #1 - FINISHED

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, February 01, 2009, 12:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Evenin' all

You may have seen that yours truly managed to score an apparently very rare Leading Edge CF-18 sheet off eBay recently. I have been hunting for something similar for a long time to build an alternative to the CF-18. What I have in mind is this:-

This is the Italeri re-issue of the original Esci kit. My intent is to build this OoB excpet for the seat (I have a spare from a Neomega Hawk 100 set) and the loadout - you may recall a few months back I was asking for 1:48 AIM-120's, then found a load that somebody sent me last time I asked and had forgotten about. I also intend to spend very little modelling time on it, sort of a speed build in a way, certainly in terms of hours if not sequential days..... well you know what I'm trying to say - it may not get finished until June but I will only spend about ten hours, plus or minus, working it !

As ever with my builds, any and all comments, criticism, questions and downright abuse are warmly welcomed.

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

Hey now!  I sure hope you make that loadout ridiculously huge    :tank:

Captain Canada

That shot of the Mirage without any paint really shows off her lines....what a sexy machine ! Looking forward to your next report, Ian !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Total bench time to date:- 48mins

Today have managed to glue together the wings and all the cockpit detail such that it is. Also rescribed the nose section forward of the windshield as Esci and later Italeri never fully updated their moulds from the original release of the Prototype. Built the AIM-120's too.

The main part of the 48mins has been taken-up with carving the fore and aft joints under the fuselage to accept the wing sub assembly, then carving back the inner face of the top wing halves to accept the fuselage..... What a PitA that was !

No pics tonight as it really isn't worth it. Hopefully be able to spray the cockpit sub-assembly tomorrow as it's cold here but we don't have any snow, shouldn't be a problem

AFN

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Green Dragon

Surprised you needed to carve anything Ian, I've built four of the various releases from Esci's prototype through to the Italeri and don't remember having a problem with the fit of the airframe. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Rafael

Great subject, Ian!!!

I looooove 2000s  :wub: :wub: :wub: they're really sleek and sexy birds. What are you planing as camo/scheme?

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Green Dragon on February 02, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
Surprised you needed to carve anything Ian, I've built four of the various releases from Esci's prototype through to the Italeri and don't remember having a problem with the fit of the airframe. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Paul Harrison

Really ! :o
I built one from an Esci boxing many years ago and I clearly recall having the exact same problem ! - Unlucky me  :banghead:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Zeke

Quote from: nev on February 02, 2009, 04:48:43 AM
M2Ks rule! :wub:

yeah, damn fine looking machine.

So come on then Ian, spill the beans...what's the colour scheme gonna be?
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

ysi_maniac

Love Mirage! ... any Mirage!, even non existing :wacko: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Kids eh ?

Was hoping to get a wee bit more done this morning, whilst Ben the Baby-Gatherer was in nursery for a couple of hours..... well that isn't going to happen because Missy the Toddler-Gatherer woke up this morning with conjunctivitis. So instead of modelling I get to spend the morning watching C-Beebies and playing with Mega Bocks  :blink:

At least I can go out this afternoon to Transport Models with Dork then drink beer and eat burgers, just like a grown-up  :thumbsup:

Kids eh ?

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Total Bench time to date:- 1hr 51mins

That doesn't include the drying time for the paint ! - OK as you can all see it's basically built, just a little bit of filler here and there, nothing major (you want MAJOR PSR, go see my Alpha Jet thread elsewhere  :banghead:). Anyhoos, just the bang-seat to build/paint and a pilot to drop in.

Here's where I need help from the tame Cannucks..... guys, have you got any pics or links to CAF fast jet pilot clothing ?? Is it the usual olive green flight suit covered by olive green 'speed jeans' ??

OK that's enuff for now, here's the pics..... yes I did use decals for the IP, wont be seen as the canopy will be closed to retain the beautiful lines of the M2000  :thumbsup:

As ever all comments, abuse etc warmly welcomed.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May