How to wallop a Walrus (airfix 1/72): Scale-o-rama!!!

Started by Brian da Basher, January 30, 2009, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Here's a picture of the hapless victim...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

This is what it looks like after I got my hands on it...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I grafted on the wings from a 1/144 B-24 Liberator, and re-worked the engines using the B-24 kit's wheels. I scratched engine cowlings from sheet plastic and used more sheet plastic for the new nose and the mid-upper cargo hatch. The fin is from a 1/144 Connie and the rudder is cut from more sheet plastic. The wingtip floats are from a 1/72 Japanese floatplane.

Brian da Basher

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Oh - you got my attention........ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So in 1/72nd, that'd be what... 4 x Pobjoy Niagras, like the FAA Fleet Shadower projects?

I'm guessing the Wally's engine pod won't go to waste....... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

Technique question:   Is the nose solid laminate or skin over frame?

Wheels for engines? :thumbsup:? :thumbsup:?  I love it.

Daryl J.

frank2056

That looks awesome! The nose area makes it look like a huge flying baleen whale!

The only annoying thing is that I didn't think of it...

jcf

Aaah, I believe that looks like the elusive and forgotten Farman F.420 flying boat. ;)

Jon

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

I can only assume the pilot will wear spats and a tuxedo at all times.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 31, 2009, 12:27:36 PM
Technique question:   Is the nose solid laminate or skin over frame?

<snip>

Daryl J.

The modification to the nose is just sheet plastic, no frame. I took a sheet and wrapped it around the nose and marked it and then cut it and glued it down with CA. Then I traced the shape for the "roof" by placing it upside down and tracing the shape. Once the "roof" was on, I just cut and sanded it down to fit.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

P.S. I've got the first coat of paint on it and hope to make more progress today. Stay tuned.

sequoiaranger

Nice concept, BdB! Though I can't tell from the photo if the result is a 1/144 or not---? Maybe the front end will have an "observation car" window arrangement for passengers, with the pilot's station somewhere underneath, or a "flying bridge"??

>Wheels for engines? I love it.<

Yeah, maybe the first Wankel aircraft engines!

Where are the tusks going to go on this "Walrus"?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Brian da Basher

Quote from: sequoiaranger on February 02, 2009, 07:00:11 AM
Nice concept, BdB! Though I can't tell from the photo if the result is a 1/144 or not---? Maybe the front end will have an "observation car" window arrangement for passengers, with the pilot's station somewhere underneath, or a "flying bridge"??

<snip>

Where are the tusks going to go on this "Walrus"?

Glad you like it, SR. The cockpit will be high up right in front and there will be seating for first class passengers dircetly behind it ending at the wing root. There will be a lower deck for tourist class. There won't be any tusks as I'm doing it in whiffy airliner livery.

Second coat of paint is on. I hope to get to some detail painting before too long.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

Maybe make a row of windows high up as the "cockpit", then think of Cruise-ship style--mini-theatre in the nose, small dining room, then rows of "stateroom" windows aft of the wings.

Just thinking/imagining.

One of my possible "real" aircraft model projects will be a 1/144 Boeing 314 Clipper done up as a private "executive transport" in somewhat the same mode as described above.

PS--I love "Cruise ships". Within the last 13 months I have "done" Australia/New Zealand, Norway-Iceland-Ireland, and a Perimeter of the Med. I would even more love a low-flying, massive dirigible, ekranoplan, or flying boat to the same end.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!