Grumman S-2BA Floatplane (cancelled until after move)

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 25, 2009, 05:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

OK, as i was browsing through the stash, i had 3 seaplanes:

-arado Ar-196
-Beriev Be-6
-Supermarine Walrus

but after looking at most entries, i discovered that most of them are converted landplanes.
so i decided to build a converted landplane to.

the floats that came with the Ar-196 were quite big, so i thought they would go great with a bigger plane.
i had to choose between the US-2B tracker and the Dornier 228.
in the end, i went for the US-2B, and gave it the designation S-2BA (witch stands for S-2B Amphibian)

i dont have an idea for markings yet, but im gonna see what decals i got in the spares.
might even make her up in Civilian markings  ;D, maybe even my personal aircraft  :rolleyes:

here's a pic of the donor kits.

a Hasegawa 1/72 US-2B Tracker and a Revell 1/72 Arado Ar196-A2.
and while the tracker gets floats, the Arado will get a fixed landing gear and a 4-bladed prop, maybe become a soviet trainer plane  :rolleyes:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

sequoiaranger

I "needed" a light dive-bomber for Germany's first aircraft carrier (pre-Graf Zeppelin), so took the floats off an Ar-196. Below is the result:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Joe C-P

Nils - great idea! Looking forward to the result on this one.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: sequoiaranger on January 25, 2009, 07:24:00 AM
I "needed" a light dive-bomber for Germany's first aircraft carrier (pre-Graf Zeppelin), so took the floats off an Ar-196. Below is the result:
thats a great build there, thanks for the idea  :thumbsup:

and i got more news, ive started customising it, its gonna be my own personal flying RV  ;D
ive drilled 4 holes on the sides of the fuselage, thats where the windows will be.
the aircraft will be de-militarised, but for the pylons on the wings im planning something special.
the aircraft will carry the belgian civil register OO-NLS (you knw why).

i even came up with a good nickname & nose art: "Droopy", witch was my nickname on my last job, and the job before  :lol:
as for the color sheme, im thinkiing Silver/metallic with blue, White & blue or Yellow & Red. with a sporty trim  :mellow:
so if you see this one landing on the worlds lakes, you know where i am  :lol:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Ed S

I like the RV idea.  It's something a little different.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sequoiaranger

>its gonna be my own personal flying RV<

I've always thought that a flying boat would make a great RV that could go anywhere a "boat" could, only faster.

>the aircraft will carry the belgian civil register OO-NLS (you knw why).<

Is that something "Ms. Nils" says sometimes late at night?  :wacko:

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: sequoiaranger on January 25, 2009, 02:40:45 PM
>the aircraft will carry the belgian civil register OO-NLS (you knw why).<

Is that something "Ms. Nils" says sometimes late at night?  :wacko:
if there was a Ms. Nils, perhaps  :lol:

Quote from: apophenia on January 25, 2009, 01:01:00 PM
Nils,

You move fast!

I started on an image of a float Tracker as a Conair Firecat conversion. But too late (and I love the S-2 RV idea anyway!). So, for what they're worth ...

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17030.0.html

My main suggestion (as shown on the Tracker thread) was lengthened floats (probably an ugly job) and maybe some kind of add-on fins for extra tail area.

im seeing and im liking  :wub:, buy im planning to make the floats a little lower, so it looks a bit more sporty  :mellow:

UPDATE.

ive finally managed to get over the paintjob dilemma, i was either thinking some sort of summertime/springbreak or hawaian artwork, but that seems a bit to complicated, so i decided to go for the paintjob on the profile below, but i cant choose between red/white and blue/white.

and furthermore, i have a little surprise for you in this build  ;D
i wont reveal much, but it involves 1/720 aircraft  :huh:
its gonna be something no one in whiffery has ever done before, thats all you gonna get out of me  :wacko:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

sequoiaranger

>i wont reveal much, but it involves 1/720 aircraft  :huh:
its gonna be something no one in whiffery has ever done before, thats all you gonna get out of me  :wacko: <

Hmmm--maybe a "model" of the model INSIDE the model, as if the pilot had a toy version of his RV?

kitnut617

Nils, I would say the floats need to be a bit larger, that is one heavy airplane you got there. If you could find some similar floats in 1/48 scale it might be about right.

Max take off weight for the Arado --3720 kg ( 8200 lbs)
Max take off weight for the Tracker - 11820 kg ( 26140 lbs)

The Tracker has the same max take off weight as a DC-3 so something like this might be better:

or like this:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

puddingwrestler

Hobbycraft does a DHC Beaver with floats which look to be the right size. And of course the dreaded Kitech/Zhengdefu makes a clone of it...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Dork the kit slayer

I have a 1/48 Otter with floats....anyone( Nils ?) got the wheel/skis they would like to swop.

Any ideas for a WIF undercarriage?
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Dork the kit slayer

How about a single float? I have a 48th float from a Kingfisher that could fit the bill?? :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Spey_Phantom

thanks, but i think im gonna stick to my arado floats, maybe ad a additional small float on the tail  :rolleyes:

i havent made any progress yet, exept for the painting of a pilot figure  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

just thought i bring you a first update.

the decals for the new RV tracker have been printed out, including those for the surprise addon  :mellow:
just to give you a preview, here's a pic of the pilot, although i messed up on the gaotie a bit  ;D

no progress planned for tommorow, as im planning to go to Brugges to stock up on helicopters and carrier based fighters  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE: Build cancelled  >:(

i have some bad news, Deu to moving and constrution work at my new home, i have barely any time for some serious building for the next 5 to 6 weeks.
i havent even had any time to make progress over the last 2 weeks.

so due to those problems i am cancelling this build until after the moving, although i could still participate in this GB, but only with a smaller aircraft, i have a supermarine walrus here that stil needs to be build, so i might make a Belgian navy version of that aircraft  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.